Decorative Crosswalks and Alleyways add vibrancy to our community, brighten outdoor spaces, increase street safety and show support for a cause. Business Improvement Areas (BIAs), community groups or businesses can apply to have a decorative crosswalk installed on City streets.
Things to consider before applying:
- Decorative crosswalks and alleyways typically last for 1 year. After that, the paint fades, and annual touch-ups will be needed to refresh the crossing. Groups will need to apply annually for touch-ups.
- Crosswalks or alleyways cannot be repainted or touched up in the same year, unless there is substantial graffiti.
- An art review process will be completed internally after an application is submitted.
- When applying, please keep in mind that the artwork is meant to enhance the safety, vibrancy and liveability of communities and it is not used for advertising, political or offensive purposes.
- Decorative crosswalks are welcome on most roads but not for crossings on major roads that carry a large volume of traffic as the wear and tear will cause the paint to fade quickly.
- Locations with existing crosswalks are preferred, but new crossings could be considered depending on the options available in the area.
- Applications are now open
- Please refer to the when applying
- This map shows the decorative crosswalks and alleyways that were painted in 2022
- Complete and submit an application
- If you have further questions, email email@example.com