Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS)
Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) use new and emerging technology to reduce congestion, save money, improve safety and reduce environmental impacts in all areas of transportation.
These systems have several components including:
- Traffic sensors
- Electronic signs
- Communication technologies
Video Traffic Management (VTM) and Traveller Information (TI)
Traffic cameras have been installed at strategic locations throughout the City to monitor current traffic conditions. The images from these cameras are monitored at the City's Traffic Management Centre and are available on Traffic Cameras.
Benefits along monitored corridors:
- Improve incident response
- Assist traffic management
- Efficient traffic flows
- Provide public with a view of current traffic situations
- Assist commuters in choosing alternate routes or times of travel