service image

Swimming Pools require a building permit and development permit, in some cases.

About the Service

A swimming pool is a man-made body of water deeper than 2 feet.

Swimming pools are governed by the Alberta Building Code (site safety and design) and require building permits for the initial construction, installation, renovation, repair and removal of an existing swimming pool. Depending on the design of the pool, it may not require a development permit. 

If the construction, installation or renovation is for a public swimming pool, review the Alberta Health Services swimming pool requirements and the Alberta Health Services Pool Permits/Renovations application.

Any mechanical work associated with the swimming pool would require a separate mechanical permit. See electrical, gas or plumbing topics for more information.

How Do I Obtain the Service?

When a Development Permit is Required

1. A development permit is required for a proposed swimming pool if it's on a property that abuts a valley or ravine as identified in the North Saskatchewan Valley and Ravine System Protection Overlay. 

2. A development permit is not required if a proposed swimming pool meets the required setbacks for accessory structures, as outlined in Section 50.3(5) of the Edmonton Zoning Bylaw. Otherwise, a development permit is required. 

Application Procedure

Apply Online

Create an account, apply, pay and check application status.


Contractors and Professionals


Apply In Person

If there is an existing fence around your property and it meets the requirement, submit a letter of confirmation along with your application.

Fill in the Home Improvement Application form.

Include all information as requested, as well as all application fees. 

Permit Conditions

The yard containing the swimming pool must have a fence with a minimum height of 1.8m (6 ft) and must completely enclose the swimming pool.

The gate must be the same height as the fence and must be self-closing.

The latch should lock and be installed on the inside of the gate at least 1.5m (5 ft) off the ground.

These regulations apply to a contained body of water.


  1. A development officer will review the application according to the Edmonton Zoning Bylaw.  Once approved, a development permit will be issued.
  2. If there is a relaxation required, public notification is required. The notification period, in which your neighbours may appeal the development officer's decision, is approximately four weeks.
  3. A plan examiner will review the application, if required. A building permit will be issued at this stage.
  4. If an application is refused, an appeal can be made through the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board, Churchill Building, 10019-103 Avenue NW, Edmonton, AB, T5J 0G9, Phone: 780-496-6079.
In Person

City of Edmonton
2nd Floor, Edmonton Tower, 10111 104 Avenue NW
Edmonton AB T5J 0J4

Hours of Operation: 8am–4:30pm
Monday through Friday


Mailing address is listed above. Cheques must be payable to the City of Edmonton. Please allow for additional processing time when applications are mailed

By Phone 311

2023 Fees

Effective January 1, 2023

Development permit fee: $125

Building permit fee: $115

The safety code fee: minimum $4.50

Contact the City About This Service

Edmonton Service Centre

Contact us online


In Edmonton: 311
Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311