A sewer and water permit is required under the provincial Safety Codes Act when installing, altering or relocating sewer and water equipment such as:

  • Sewer Lines
  • Water Lines
  • Storm or sanitary sewers
  • Water Connections
  • Weeping Tile

Weeping tile can be connected to your storm sewer system, provided that a connection is available. The system must run through a backwater valve that is accessible from the basement of your building.

For Homeowners

Homeowners must own and occupy the property and be completing the work themselves to obtain a permit.

  1. Homeowner must apply for permits in person (address listed below)
  2. Complete the Single Family Homeowners Plumbing and Gas Application
  3. Include a detailed drawing with piping layout including fitting descriptions and sizing
  4. After the work has been completed you must schedule an inspection by calling 311.

A permit must be obtained prior to starting any work and booking an inspection.

For Contractors

Contractors must be licensed with the City of Edmonton.

  1. Complete the Contractors Plumbing and Gas Application
  2. Send a digital copy to the email address on the application form, or come to our offices (address listed below)
  3. After the work has been completed you must schedule an inspection by calling 311.


Contractors who have an online account may apply for their permits and book their inspections online.

A permit must be obtained prior to starting any work and booking an inspection.

Inspection Information

  • After the work is completed an inspection of the equipment is required.
  • All equipment that will be concealed must be inspected and approved before it is covered.
  • If the work has not had an inspection but has been covered, the inspector has the authority to request the area to be opened for inspection.

Booking an Inspection

In occupied homes

  • The owner of the home should be phoning to book the inspection since they will be required to ensure that either themselves or another adult is there when the inspection occurs.
  • Inspections can be booked by calling 311. Please advise the type of inspection that is required as well as permit holder's name and phone number and the address where the inspection needs to be done.

To prepare for the required inspections in occupied homes, please ensure:

  • an individual 18 years of age or older who is responsible for the property is present during the inspection
  • clear and unobstructed access to all areas of inspection is provided
  • all pets are securely contained

Please note: the Safety Codes Officers are required to wear shoes while performing their duties in your home.

Extra Inspections

Additional fees shall be assessed for every inspection requested where any of the following items are found to be deficient:

  • No address on site, building, or suite as applicable
  • Inspector unable to access the building, having been called to inspect
  • Project not ready for inspection, when inspector has been called to do an inspection
  • Inspection called for where previously identified deficiency has not been corrected

2023 Fees

Effective January 1, 2023

Sewer Permit is $115 per dwelling unit for multi-family developments, to a maximum of $215 plus a Safety Code fee of $4.50.


Permits Online (For Contractors Only)

For More Information

Edmonton Service Centre

2nd Floor, 10111 104 Avenue NW
Edmonton, AB T5J 0J4

Hours of Operation (by appointment):

Monday - Friday

Telephone In Edmonton: 311
Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311
Email plumbingandgastechdesk@edmonton.ca