Lot grading requirements and approval procedures for residential homeowners
This stage includes backfilling the foundation walls and shaping the lot to conform to the design of the approved Lot Grading Plan. The Rough Grade Approval procedure should occur within 60 days of the initial site grading or within 18 months of the issuance of the building permit. It is the builder's responsibility to ensure that roof leaders (downspouts) and foundation drainage systems are installed according to the approved engineering drawings.
Applying for Rough Grade Approval
- The builder has a Lot Grading Certificate prepared by a professional acceptable to the City Manager (for example, .)
- The Lot Grading Certificate is then submitted to City of Edmonton Development Services for approval. The applicant must provide information for their preferred method of contact (fax, email or mail) to receive a Lot Grading Inspection Report.
- A Lot Grading Inspector will conduct a site inspection to verify that the lot is graded in accordance with the approved Lot Grading Plan and the Lot Grading Guidelines. The inspection is usually done within 5 working days from processing of the certificate, depending on workload and weather conditions.
- The applicant will receive an Inspection Report indicating that the Rough Grade has been Passed (approved) or Failed (deficiencies exist).
- The builder must correct any deficiencies within 60 days and call 311 to notify City of Edmonton Development Services for re-inspection (applicable fees apply). If resubmission of a Lot Grading Certificate is indicated, re-inspection cannot occur until receipt of the new Lot Grading Certificate.
- Deficiency items are labeled “left”, “right”, “front” and “back”. Orientation of these labels is determined by facing the front entrance of the home from the street.
- The applicant and property owner will both be notified when the Rough Grade is approved.
Regardless of who applies for grade approval, the Municipal Government Act states that a Property Owner is responsible for all activities and approvals related to his property.