Edmontonians are invited to join in the fun and “Live the Garden Life” during the Year of the Garden 2022, a celebration of everything garden and gardening related in Canada.
Supported by the Canadian Nursery Landscape Association, the Canadian Garden Council, through its Year of the Garden 2022 initiative aims to inspire and inform Canadians about the many health and well-being, economic, and environmental benefits gardens and gardening provide, and along the way provide tips and tricks for gardening success and the enjoyment of gardens.
Joining many other Canadian municipalities, the City of Edmonton proclaimed 2022 the Year of the Garden on May 9.
No matter where you live, in a house, condo or apartment, your gardens contribute to the enjoyment of life. From container kitchen gardens on a balcony, a landscaped backyard, colourful flower beds, to a community vegetable garden providing food to the neighbourhood, all need a little effort on your part to nurture their success.
The Year of the Garden 2022 offers many opportunities to “Live the Garden Life”, enjoy garden experiences, and get inspired in the garden.
Ways to celebrate in Edmonton:
- Recognize your neighbour through the Front Yards in Bloom program
- Learn about Veg Instead! and plant an edible garden on your private property
- Join a community garden or learn how to start one with a community group
- Volunteer at a Root for Trees planting event
- Visit the Muttart Conservatory to learn about plant from around the world, take a tour or register for a program, or get what you need for your own garden from the online plant sale May 13-21
- Volunteer for Partners in Parks
- Plant Red in your own garden
- Garden organizations can recognize a Garden Hero
- Learn more about other Urban Gardening Initiatives in Edmonton
- Build your soil. Use compost and make your own. Learn more with the Keep Composting newsletter or visit Compost School
- Visit the Year of the Garden for more ideas