Main page content begins here

Neighbourhood Services staff provide support to citizens, community groups and event organizers utilizing neighbourhood and district parkland. 

What Can I Do In A Neighbourhood Park?

The City of Edmonton has over 800 neighbourhood, district, and city parks located above the banks of the North Saskatchewan River Valley. Open parkland comes in all shapes and sizes and can accommodate a wide range of activities. 

Drop-in Casual Use

Want to have a picnic or throw a frisbee? 

Open parkland can be used for drop-in, casual activities for groups up to 50 people. Some general guidelines for casual use include: 

  • Leave the area in good condition (as good or better than found). 

  • While on open parkland, no person shall do anything that is reasonably likely to disturb the peace or enjoyment of other persons. You must follow the requirements of the Parkland Bylaw 2202

  • Place all refuse such as garbage and decorations in a receptacle on site or take it with you if none is available. 

  • Dogs must always be on a leash on an improved or unimproved trail when on open parkland. Dogs are not allowed on school grounds, sports fields, playgrounds and golf courses. 

  • Vehicles are not allowed on grassed areas. Park on the street or parking lots provided. 

  • Commercial activities or vending are not permitted on parkland without prior approval. 

  • Using or consuming liquor on parkland is prohibited (except in designated areas). 

  • Report any concerns or maintenance issues to 311.

Private Events

Having a birthday party? Want to hold a bootcamp? Holding a wedding? 

You’re likely planning a private event on open parkland. Most events involve activities that require a parkland license before proceeding including any event with 51+ people. Visit Neighbourhood Parks & Open Spaces to learn more and to apply for a license.

Public Community Events

Hosting a community BBQ? Organizing a Winter Festival? 

You are organizing a public community event whenever you are inviting the general public to attend. Almost all community events involve activities that require a parkland license before proceeding including any event with 51+ people. Visit Neighbourhood Parks & Open Spaces to learn more and to apply for a license. 

Block Parties & Play Streets

Block Parties and Play Streets held on parkland are considered private or public community events. If you are interested in hosting a small event on a residential street in your neighbourhood, visit Block Parties and Play Streets to find more information or to apply for permission and a temporary road closure.

Community Programming and Special Event Planning Guide

The City provides support and resources to assist you with planning your community programs and events.

Winter Amenities on Parkland

The City of Edmonton can authorize the use of open parkland for a public snowbank rink, freezeway or ski trail. This opportunity is open to organizations and will require liability insurance. Depending on what’s proposed, you may need additional permits. Complete the application form to propose your idea. Applications should be submitted by September 30 each year. 

Neighbourhood Winter Amenity Application Form

Permanent Improvements on Neighbourhood Parkland

Neighbourhood and district parks can be improved through a partnered process involving a neighbourhood organization and the City of Edmonton. Visit the Park & Facility Development Team to learn more about this process.

For More Information

Neighbourhood Events

Telephone In Edmonton: 311
Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311
Online Contact 311 Online
TTY 780-944-5555

End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content