Define your organization's overall goals for the activity:
- What do you want to achieve with a program?
- What opportunities will this program create for your organization?
- What are the needs and assets in your community?
- What are the board's expectations: to make money, lose money, break even or subsidize the program?
Create an Organizing Committee:
- Depending on the size of the program, the program director may be the chair of this committee
- Find members with talent, time, commitment, and creativity in the following areas:
- Marketing and communications
- Site/facility prep
- Volunteer/staff coordination
- Contingency planning
Identify and define what program you are planning:
- Create/update your annual plan
- Research what has been done in the past
- Ask what neighbouring communities are doing
- Look for potential partnerships
- Determine what activities are popular
- Consider your demographics - age, marital status, cultural diversity and so on
Determine the location for the program:
- You will have to fill out an application form if using a public space
There may be costs associated with the permits and civic services required depending on the location.