Fall U-Pass Program
The U-Pass program will be suspended for the Fall session. Once institution timelines are finalized for the Winter session, we will share that information.
Fall U-Pass Program
Fall U-Pass Program Update
The City and regional transit partners have been working collaboratively with the participating U-Pass Students’ Associations since the end of June. Due to the majority of classes being offered online, all 10 parties agreed that Fall U-Passes will not be issued.
COVID-19 has presented unique financial challenges for everyone, and the suspension of the Fall U-Pass is a temporary adjustment due to the pandemic. The U-Pass Program is a regional program, not simply a City of Edmonton program.
On August 19, in order to provide students with discounted transit fare options, ETS made recommendations to Edmonton City Council. Council approved the following:
Temporary expansion of the age eligibility for the Youth Fare category
- From September 1 - December 31 to include ALL post-secondary students, no matter their age, at U-pass institutions and institutions that were eligible for the post-secondary pass. Effective, September 1, a Youth monthly pass will cost $72.50. Students who occasionally use transit may purchase a Book of 10 Youth tickets for $19 (an $8 discount from adult price).
Temporary expansion of eligibility to the low income Ride Transit Program
- This program has two tiers (that is, a sliding scale) and is based on an individual’s personal income. Personal income can be proven through a Notice of Assessment (NOA), Employment Insurance (EI) document or CERB document.
- Students will need to apply through the Leisure Access Program.
- If a student is 18+, and earns less than $29,069, they may qualify for a $34/month pass.
- If a student is 18+, and earns between $29,070 and $33,033, they may qualify for a $48.50/month pass.
- International students are also eligible to apply for the Ride Transit Program.
- If a student is under 18, there is a process to apply for the program which involves filling out a Release of Information and Responsibility Form. This release, accompanied by approved income documentation, will allow these students to apply for Ride Transit.
Note: For context, a U-Pass costs approximately $45/month.
Note: Students who are considered a dependent (i.e. their parents/guardians claim them on their taxes as a dependent) would have to include their parents/guardians income on their application, so they may not qualify for the Ride Transit Program.
We will do our best to process Ride Transit applications as quickly as we can. We will continue to work closely with the U-pass institutions to ensure this process is working smoothly.
Other discounted fare transit options for students:
- For students who happen to be seniors, ETS, and most municipal transit partners, offer free or discounted seniors monthly passes.
A decision regarding the Winter U-Pass will be made in the coming months.
Note: Effective August 31, 2020, the Post Secondary Pass is being discontinued.
The Universal Transit Pass (U-Pass) program provides eligible students at participating institutions unlimited travel on ETS (including DATS* and Route 747) and participating regional providers.
*DATS registration is required prior to using DATS service, please contact 780-496-4567 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
U-Pass - Stickers and Validity
- U-Pass stickers are available from participating institutions in August for Fall session (September – December), early December for Winter term (January – April) and in April for Summer term (May - August), where applicable.
- U-Pass stickers are issued by the institution for each term and are placed on student photo identification cards issued by the post-secondary institution.
- The current U-Pass sticker on the student card is the U-Pass. It must be displayed upon boarding to bus operators and must be with the student at all times on the LRT.
- U-Pass is non-transferable, cannot be resold and may only be used by the student who was issued the U-Pass.
- Students attempting to use transit services with a U-Pass outside the validity period risk a $250 fine for fare evasion. If you do not have a valid U-Pass sticker on your student card, you are required to pay regular fare for transit service.
Refer to our U-Pass frequently asked questions.
You must have the proper sticker attached to your ID card prior to using transit. If you do not have the sticker, please pay the regular cash fare for transit service.
Students traveling on buses and LRT who continue to use their U-Pass beyond the expiry date risk a $250 fine for evasion.
Fall Term U-Pass: Valid August 25 - December 31
Winter Term U-Pass: Valid January 1 - April 30
Spring/Summer U-Pass: Valid May 1 - August 31
U-Pass Information - Institutions
For information regarding sticker distribution and U-Pass program information related to your institution check your institution's U-Pass webpages.
If your institution is not part of the U-Pass program, please contact your students' association to indicate your interest and for future information on participation.
Transit Service Information
For Edmonton Transit service to University of Alberta, MacEwan, NAIT and NorQuest College Campuses:
Regional Transit Service
For region-specific service and student pass information, contact: