Firefighting is a challenging, demanding, exciting and fulfilling career.
The recruitment process is competitive, multi-stepped and extensive. It is the applicants responsibility to address all the requirements, meet deadlines, and be available to attend scheduled assessment dates.
Candidates who move successfully through all stages of the recruitment process are placed on an eligibility list for consideration to be hired as a Firefighter.
Details and dates will be updated and may be subject to change:
- At least 18 years of age
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Obtaining and maintaining a City Driver's permit is a requirement of this position
- Hiring is dependent upon a Police Information Check including Vulnerable Sector check satisfactory to the City of Edmonton
- Good physical fitness is required - Evaluated at Fitness test stages
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely in English under stressful conditions
- Driver's abstract with 7 or less demerits
- Motivated with well-developed interpersonal and team skills
- Ability to effectively operate under the realities of emergency situations
- Strong work ethic
All documentation including proof of registration must be uploaded to your Taleo profile.
Certifications / Licences Required - Candidates obtaining required certifications / licence by August 1, 2017 may be considered with proof of registration
- Minimum Valid Alberta Class 3 driver’s licence with Air Brakes Endorsement (or provincial equivalent)
- International Trauma Life Support "ITLS" certificate: ITLS certificate must be valid for 24 months from your application date. Applicants who do not meet the 24 month margin will be given the opportunity to recertify as follows; if your ITLS expires on or before Dec 31 2017, you must provide proof of registration as part of your application. For those applicants whose ITLS expires after Dec 31 2017 you will be required to provide proof of registration prior to the interview portion of this process.
One of the 2 following Certifications:
- Current Emergency Medical Responder or higher certification (Alberta College of Paramedics (ACP) approved)
Either of the above certifications must be issued within previous 36 months of your application to this position)* Current ACP registration not required
Applications will be accepted from March 1-31, 2017 through the City of Edmonton Jobs - Talent Hub for potential recruit classes to be hired in 2018.
Qualified applicants will be directed through the following recruitment steps
April 29, 2017
To succeed in the demanding fire-rescue environment, firefighters must have specific skills. The aptitude test content areas are:
- Understanding oral information
- Reading and understanding written information
- Numerical skills
- Maps, diagrams, and mechanical reasoning
- Teamwork and public relations
If the applicant does not pass any one portion of the aptitude exam, they will be removed from consideration.
Applicants will be advised of the location and time of the aptitude test. The aptitude test must be written on location in Edmonton; no out-of-town or supervised exams will be allowed.
A non-refundable $50 money order, payable to the City of Edmonton, will be required at time of writing. Cheque or cash will not be accepted.
There will be no re-writes. A grouping of the highest-ranked applicants will advance to the next stage of the recruitment process.
September 2017 - October 2017*
Interviews will be conducted by representatives from Fire Rescue Services and Human Resources.
A grouping of the highest-ranked applicants will advance to the Station Assessment stage of the process, based on performance in the Aptitude Test, Physical Fitness Test, and Panel Interview.
October 2017 - December 2017*
Applicants will be assessed by a crew after spending approximately eight hours with the Fire Rescue Services crew.
Only applicants who meet the requirements of the Station Assessment will be considered for advancement to the next stage of the process.
*Dates are estimated and may be subject to change
Additional Steps and Assessments
Fire Rescue Services determines the number of applicants to be placed on an Eligibility List based on staffing requirements. Applicants are placed on the list according to their performance in the previous steps. The Eligibility List will be valid until December 31, 2018. This date may be extended at the discretion of the Fire Chief.
Once EFRS determines the need for a recruit class, successful candidates will be notified.
The following steps will then be implemented.
- Reference Checks
- Threshold Knowledge Test
- Peer Fitness Assessment and Job-related Test
- Orientation and Mask Fit
- Offer of Employment
- Recruit Training Program
Applicants are responsible for the accuracy of the information they provide. If confirmation is received that information was withheld, falsified or misrepresented by any source, applicants will not be considered for employment. A confirmed misrepresentation could lead to an offer of employment being rescinded and/or dismissal at any point during employment should such misrepresentation be brought to the City of Edmonton's attention.