Firefighter Recruit Open House - October 15, 2016
This is a competitive, multi-stepped and extensive process. It is your responsibility to address all the requirements, meet deadlines, and be available to attend scheduled assessment dates.
Details and dates will be updated and may be subject to change:
- 18 years of age
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Valid Alberta Class 3 driver's licence (minimum) with Air Brakes Endorsement (or provincial equivalent - issued prior to July 30, 2016). Obtaining and maintaining a City Driver's permit is a requirement of this position
- Hiring is dependent upon a Police Information Check including Vulnerable Sector check satisfactory to the City of Edmonton
- Good physical fitness is required (evaluated at fitness test stage)
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely in English under stressful conditions
- Driver's abstract with 7 or less demerits
- Current International Trauma Life Support "ITLS" certificate (issued prior to July 30, 2016.)
- Certified Medical First Responder (MFR) issued prior to July 30, 2016 OR current Emergency Medical Responder or higher certification (Alberta College of Paramedics (ACP) approved) *Note - current ACP registration not required
- Motivated with well-developed interpersonal and team skills
- Ability to effectively operate under the realities of emergency situations
- Strong work ethic
Qualified applicants will be directed through the following recruitment steps.
Applications will be accepted from March 1-31, 2017 through the City of Edmonton Jobs - Talent Hub
Date to be determined for 2017.
To succeed in the demanding fire-rescue environment, firefighters must have specific skills. The aptitude test content areas are:
- Understanding oral information
- Reading and understanding written information
- Numerical skills
- Maps, diagrams, and mechanical reasoning
- Teamwork, public relations, and community living
Applicants will be advised of the location and time of the aptitude test. The aptitude test must be written on location in Edmonton; no out-of-town or supervised exams will be allowed.
A non-refundable $50 money order, payable to the City of Edmonton, will be required at time of writing. Cheque or cash will not be accepted.
There will be no re-writes. A grouping of the highest-ranked applicants will advance to the next stage of the recruitment process.
To be determined at the University of Alberta Campus for 2017.
Dates to be determined for 2017.
Dates to be determined for 2017.
Interviews will be conducted by representatives from Fire Rescue Services and Human Resources.
A grouping of the highest-ranked applicants will advance to the Station Assessment stage of the process, based on performance in the Aptitude Test, Physical Fitness Test, and Panel Interview.
Applicants will be assessed by a crew after spending approximately eight hours with the Fire Rescue Services crew.
Only applicants who meet the requirements of the Station Assessment will be considered for advancement to the next stage of the process.
Additional Steps and Assessments
Fire Rescue Services determines the number of applicants to be placed on an Eligibility List based on staffing requirements. Applicants are placed on the list according to their performance in the previous steps. The Eligibility List will be valid until December 31, 2018. This date may be extended at the discretion of the Fire Chief.
Once EFRS determines the need for a recruit class, successful candidates will be notified.
The following steps will then be implemented.
- Threshold Knowledge Test
- Peer Fitness Assessment and Job-related Test
- Orientation and Mask Fit
- Offer of Employment
- Recruit Training Program
Applicants are responsible for the accuracy of the information they provide. If confirmation is received that information was withheld, falsified or misrepresented by any source, applicants will not be considered for employment. A confirmed misrepresentation could lead to an offer of employment being rescinded and/or dismissal at any point during employment should such misrepresentation be brought to the City of Edmonton's attention.