WinterCity Strategy: For the Love of Winter
This strategy was developed by the WinterCity Think Tank, a group of volunteer Edmontonians with a wide variety of backgrounds.
WinterCity Strategy Think Tank
Over a six month period, from January to June of 2012, the Think Tank researched best practices of winter cities around the world, and importantly, listened to Edmontonians talk about what would make them fall in love with winter in Edmonton.
The Think Tank also based its work on previous initiatives undertaken by Edmonton City Councillor Ben Henderson, including an Exploration Forum in 2010 and an Executive Research Study in 2011.
Gathering Ideas from Edmontonians
This was done in several ways:
- Ideascale – a crowd sourcing tool in which people submitted ideas which were then voted on. View all of the ideas collected for the WinterCity Strategy. We asked the public: What would make them fall in love with winter in Edmonton?
- A symposium after the kick-off
- Twenty in-depth dialogue sessions and workshops with key targeted groups
- A public forum in February
- A WinterCity contest
- A postcard campaign: postcards people could fill out, with their ideas for what would make them fall in love with winter in Edmonton, were located at various City of Edmonton venues.
At its September 10, 2013 meeting, Community Services Committee passed the For the Love of Winter: WinterCity Strategy Implementation Plan.
Looking Back: The work we've done so far
Links and documents that helped inform the creation of the WinterCity Strategy and Implementation Plan.
WinterCity Strategy Consultation Summary
Ideascale: View All the Ideas Collected so Far
WinterCity - Executive Research Study Findings