Pffft. Uh oh. That’s the river getting too much fertilizer in its system. Algae loves fertilizer—and too much algae destroys aquatic life.
So what should you do?
- Use a slow-release natural fertilizer and make sure you don’t over-fertilize
- Sweep fertilizer from walkways and driveways back onto your lawn
- Water only when necessary and aim sprinklers away from paved surfaces
- If you know it’s about to rain, hold off on fertilizing—otherwise it’ll wash off your lawn right into the river
What else can you do?
- Mulch or compost yard waste. Don’t sweep debris into the gutter
- Don’t over apply pesticides or use them right before it rains
- Select plants and grasses that grow easily in Edmonton and require less water, fertilizers and pesticides