Owners are encouraged to maintain properties by restoring, repairing or replacing in kind the character defining elements as closely as possible to the resources' original design and materials. This does not prevent the application of contemporary processes and materials. The Designation Bylaw is put in place to manage change, and these are guided by the Standards and Guidelines for the Conservation of Historic Places in Canada.
- Alterations that require a development permit will be reviewed by a Heritage Planner
- Land Use Bylaw and Alberta Building Code requirements apply
- Zoning and attendant development rights and regulations apply
- City regulations regarding fencing and landscaping apply
- Municipal Historic Resources can’t be demolished