Main page content begins here

Agendas and Minutes

How do I know when and where a meeting will take place?

The Council and Committee schedule is approved by Council once a year at its organizational meeting in October. A special meeting is a new meeting that was not on the original schedule. Changes to the schedule can only be approved by Council or Committee.

Committee meetings (Community & Public Services, Executive and Urban Planning Committees) typically take place in the River Valley Room on the main floor of City Hall. Public Hearings and City Council meetings are normally held in Council Chamber on the second floor of City Hall. Agendas always indicate where the meeting will take place.

When are agendas and minutes posted to the website?

City Council and Committee agendas are available at on the Thursday before the meeting. Public Hearing agendas are typically posted 2 weeks before the meeting.

Minutes are typically available on the website 3 to 4 business days after the meeting has taken place.

To view a paper copy of an agenda or minutes, you can visit the Office of the City Clerk, located on the 3rd floor of City Hall.


Yes! Meetings can be viewed live through Streaming Video. For meetings held after November 16, 2009, video is linked to the minutes of each meeting.  Simply open the minutes you are interested in and the video will play automatically. Click the underlined title of any item, and the video will jump to that portion of the meeting.

Council and Committee generally consider items in the order that they appear on the agenda. Through a vote, however, items can be made time-specific.

How do I get a recording of a meeting?

The Office of the City Clerk can provide you with audio CDs of Council and Committee meetings from the past 3 years at a cost of $15.75 per CD. Please call the Information Services Coordinator at 780-496-8171 to request a copy.


How do I find a report that went to Council or Committee?

On the website, reports are linked to the agenda and minutes from the meeting in which they were considered.

For meetings before November 16, 2009
Reports can be viewed by clicking the blue arrow (in older documents) or the blue underlined report title within agendas and minutes. The report will open in .doc format.

For meetings after November 16, 2009
Reports can be viewed by clicking the report title within agendas and minutes.  The report and its attachments will be listed on the right side of the page in .pdf format.

If you don’t know the date the report was considered, try searching for it using the search links on You can also call the Information Services Coordinator at 780-496-8171 for assistance.

For meetings after November 16, 2009, all reports and attachments are available in .pdf. You require software that supports .pdf format, such as Adobe Reader.

If you cannot access a document, please call 780-496-8171, or visit the Office of the City Clerk to view a hard copy.

When I click an agenda item I get the message, “No files found.” What does this mean?

There is no report or attachment related to the item you selected.

Request to Speak

How can I request to speak at a Committee meeting or Public Hearing?



  • Call 780-496-8178 from 8am – 4:30pm, Monday through Friday, excluding statutory holidays

In person

  • Visit the Office of the City Clerk, 3rd Floor, City Hall
  • You may also register at the meeting itself. To ensure that your request to speak is considered by Council or Committee, please arrive before the start of the meeting. For Statutory Public Hearings (land-use), you must register before the meeting begins.

All speakers have 5 minutes to make a presentation (or speak). You may only speak about an issue that is on the agenda. Following your presentation, any Member of Council has up to 5 minutes to ask you questions.

Speakers are heard in the order that they registered (first come, first serve). At Public Hearings, those who speak in favour of the bylaw speak before those who are opposed. If someone is absent when it is their turn to speak, City Council will hear from the next person on the list.

Can I speak on behalf of someone else?

Yes, you may choose to speak for yourself OR on someone else's behalf, provided that person has completed and signed an Authorization to Speak on Someone's Behalf form. You will need to bring the original, signed form to the meeting. 

Can I use a PowerPoint presentation or an overhead projector?

Yes! Please provide a copy of your presentation to the Office of the City Clerk at least 2 days before the meeting so that it can be loaded and ready for the meeting. You may bring a CD, a memory stick, or email it to  

I have handouts for City Council. How many copies do I need and how do I give them to Councillors?

Bring 20 double-sided copies of your handout to the meeting and provide them to the Clerk. The Clerk will hand out your documents to City Council during your presentation.

The list of registered speakers is not publicly available until City Council has voted to hear from speakers. The list of speakers will be included in the minutes.

You can write a letter or email City Council about any topic at any time. Or, you can call the Councillors’ office at 780-496-8110.

Statutory public hearings are held approximately every 2 weeks, typically on Mondays. Under Alberta law (Municipal Government Act) each proposed change of land-use requires a bylaw to be approved by City Council. Bylaws are grouped in time blocks, usually 1:30pm, 2pm, 3:45pm and 7pm.

  • The Mayor will call the names of those registered to speak. Please stand and identify yourself when called.
  • City Administration will provide an overview of the bylaw.
  • Those in favour of the bylaw will speak.
  • Those opposed to the bylaw will speak.
  • Each speaker has up to 5 minutes to make their presentation. The red light on the podium will indicate the end of the 5 minutes.
  • When you are finished, please remain at the podium as Council may wish to ask you questions.
  • After all speakers have been heard, Council may ask questions of Administration.
  • Those who wish to speak to new information may do so.
  • Council may then close the public hearing, debate the bylaw and vote.

Voting on a bylaw

  1. City Council votes on first reading of the bylaw.
  2. City Council votes on second reading of the bylaw.
  3. City Council votes on consideration of third reading of the bylaw. This vote must be unanimous. If it is not, Council must wait until the next public hearing to vote on it. Consideration of third reading is only required when all votes are taking place at the same meeting. If City Council votes on first reading and then votes on second reading at a later meeting, they do not need to vote on consideration of third reading.
  4. Council votes on third reading of the bylaw. 
  5. If third reading is approved, the Mayor signs the bylaw.

For More Information

Office of the City Clerk

3rd floor, City Hall
1 Sir Winston Churchill Square
Edmonton, AB  T5J 2R7

Telephone 780-496-8178
Fax 780-496-8175

End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content