First elected in 2007, Ben is in his fourth term as the Councillor for Ward 8.
Before being elected to City Council, Ben was the artistic director for Nexus Theatre and Theatre Network. He served on boards for the Old Strathcona Foundation, Street Performers Festival, Edmonton Federation of Community Leagues, the Edmonton Arts Council, and the Professional Arts Coalition of Edmonton. He is a trained negotiator and mediator and was a member of the Mediation and Restorative Justice Centre.
Passionate about public transit and active transportation, he advocated for the development of a city-wide bike network and expansion of the LRT system. Ben is a representative on Council Initiatives for Active Transportation, Edmonton’s Poverty Elimination, and the Arts, Heritage & Culture Initiatives.
While on Council, he has been a champion for the Winter City Strategy, the New Public Engagement Policy, and End Poverty Edmonton, the City's poverty elimination strategy. He is also currently one of the two Councillors responsible for Edmonton's Energy Transition Initiative and Edmonton's Active Transportation Initiative. Ben also serves nationally as Chair of the Green Municipal Fund, and is an Edmonton City Council representative at the Federation of Canadian Municipalities.
- Councillor, City of Edmonton, 2007 – current
- Chair, Utilities Committee, 2013 – current
- Member, Utilities Committee, 2010 – 2013
- Chair, Transportation Committee, 2010 – 2011
- Chair, Community & Public Services Committee, 2009 – 2010
- Chair, Contaminated Gas Station Task Force, 2009 – 2012
- Chair, Winter Cities Strategy and Implementation Committee, 2008 – current
- Chair, Poverty Elimination Steering Committee, 2012 – 2014
- Lead, Council Initiatives on Housing, Public Engagement, Poverty Elimination, Winter Cities, Active Transportation and Energy Transition
- Chair, Inter City Forum on Social Policy, 2007 – 2013
- 2018 Award of Merit – Canadian Institute of Planners of the Edmonton Winter Design Guidelines
- 2018 Organization of the Year for the Edmonton Public Engagement Strategy – International Association for Public Participation (IAP2)
- 2014 Award of Merit – The Canadian Institute of Planners for the Edmonton Winter City Strategy and Implementation Plan