Main page content begins here

Example of a Noxious Weed

Edmonton is full of vibrant and beautiful communities. The City of Edmonton works with communities to reduce the spread of regulated weeds by educating citizens to identify, prevent and control noxious/prohibited noxious weeds. These plants might look harmless, but they can do serious damage to our local ecosystem.

There is often confusion about some of these plants, particularly Creeping Bellflower, Oxeye Daisy, Dame’s Rocket, and Himalayan Balsam, because:

  • They are beautiful
  • You can purchase them at local greenhouses or big box stores
  • It is difficult to distinguish between ‘good’ plants and noxious/prohibited noxious plants

Please refer to the Grow Me Instead brochure to learn which plants are harmful and which plants are native alternatives.

The Government of Alberta regulates the spread of noxious weeds and prohibited noxious weeds through the Weed Control Act.

The City doesn't regulate nuisance weeds, like dandelions, on private property but does control both noxious and nuisance weeds on public property using green turf management practices.

Prevention is Best

Control noxious and prohibited weeds early by regularly inspecting your property. Educate yourself on noxious and prohibited noxious weeds using the Weed Identification page.

  • Noxious weeds must be controlled — mowing is often enough to control them
  • Prohibited noxious weeds must be destroyed so they cannot spread
  • Be cautious when planting non-native seed mixes, as noxious weeds can be part of the mixes
  • Choose native plants that are not invasive

Check out some tips to keep your yard healthy.


Municipal Enforcement Officers will be patrolling the city for noxious and prohibited noxious weeds, as well as promptly responding to citizen complaints. If regulated weeds are found on your property, you will receive a Local Authority notice to remove or control the weeds on your property.

If you do not comply with the directives in the notice, the City has the authority under the Alberta Weed Control Act to enter your property without notifying you and initiate remedial weed control and/or destroy measures. All costs incurred by the City are added to your property tax bill. Costs vary on the amount of infestation and area to be cleared, but range from $250/mow to $5,000/mow or more.

For More Information

311 Contact Centre

Online Contact 311 Online

In Edmonton: 311
Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311

TTY 780-944-5555

End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content