Main page content begins here

Unjunk Your Yard

Unkempt properties can lead to decreased property values, untidy neighbourhoods and complaints from neighbouring residents and businesses.

Keeping your property in good repair is the responsibility of every property owner.  

Types of Unkempt Conditions

 Unkempt conditions include:

  1. Excessive accumulation of materials
    • Building and construction materials
    • Appliances (large and small)
    • Boxes
    • Tires and vehicle parts
    • Garbage and loose litter
  2. Damaged, dismantled or derelict vehicles
    • Whether insured or registered or not
  3. Long grass or weeds higher than 10cm
    • Smelly or messy compost heaps
  4. Building in disrepair
    • Showing signs of a serious disregard, damage or  general maintenance and upkeep
    • Inappropriate infiltration of air, moisture or water into the building
    • Broken or missing windows, doors, or any other hole or opening in the building
    • Any graffiti displayed on the building


Reporting Your Concerns

If you have a concern about a bylaw infraction:

  1. Discuss the concern directly with the owner
  2. Record the address of the violation and a description of the problem if you can't resolve it directly
  3. Call 311 or make a complaint online
  4. Provide your name, address, phone number, and the details of your concern in case your testimony is required in court
Responding to Your Complaint

After you call 311 or make a complaint online, the City takes these steps to help with your issue:

  1. A file is created specifying your concerns
  2. A Municipal Enforcement Officer (MEO), Community Standards Peace Officer (CSPO) or Animal Control Officer (ACO) opens an investigation
  3. The officer investigates your complaint within 4 business days
  4. The officer may issue a warning notice with directions to remedy the problem within a specified time frame, or issue a fine immediately, depending on the circumstances
  5. The officer may issue an order, which allows the City to fix the problem and bill the property owner for the cost
  6. The City may contact you to appear as a witness, if the matter goes to court
Protecting Your Privacy

All personal information requested or required is collected under the authority of section 33(c) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (Alberta) (FOIP Act) for the purpose of responding to your complaint and enforcing municipal bylaws. This information will be collected, used and disclosed in accordance with the FOIP Act. In particular, personal information submitted through 311, the 311 app, or the online complaint form will be disclosed to appropriate business areas within the City so they may respond to your complaint. In addition, if the complaint leads to bylaw enforcement, your personal information may be required to be disclosed as part of the court proceeding. For more information on how the City protects your privacy visit Freedom of Information and Privacy.

Living in Edmonton Guide

This guide outlines essential conduct, community opportunities and common bylaws within the city.

For More Information

311 Contact Centre

Online Contact 311 Online

In Edmonton: 311
Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311

TTY 780-944-5555

End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content