person doing a landscaping task

The Zoning Bylaw requires that residential property owners landscape any front or side yards that are visible from a public street. For new homes, this must be done within 18 months of occupancy.

Having common landscaping standards that all property owners must meet helps make sure Edmonton is an appealing, safe and livable city for everyone.

Zoning Regulations:

According to the Zoning Bylaw, there are only certain materials that homeowners can use to landscape. These are:

  • Grass seed or sod
  • Washed gravel or shale
  • Flower beds or cultivated gardens
  • Trees, shrubs or other plants
  • Outdoor furniture or sculptures
  • Fences or walls
  • Decorative bricks, pavers or stones

It is also important to remember that in front and side yards visible from a public street, only a driveway and a walkway to the door can be covered with continuous asphalt or concrete.

The allowable width of a driveway is determined by the number of side-by-side parking stalls in the garage or parking pad. Driveways must be at least 3.1 metres wide and have a maximum width of 3.1 metres per side-by-side parking stall. For example, if you have a double car garage your driveway can only be 6.2 metres wide and must lead directly from the street to your garage door.

While planning your landscaping, it may be helpful to remember that landscaping regulations mainly apply to front and side yards. Backyards can be used more easily for things like patios, hot tubs, fire pits, basketball courts and decks.


No permits are required to landscape your property, however you may require a permit if you are building a fence or want to include a deck, shed, gazebo, hot tub or water feature in your yard.

Reporting Your Concerns

If you have a concern about landscaping you see in your neighbourhood:

  • Discuss the concern with the property owner
  • Record the address of the improper landscaping and a description of the problem if you can't resolve it directly with the property owner
  • Call 311 and provide your name, address, phone number, and the details of your concern

Responding to Your Complaint

After you call 311, the City takes these steps to help with your issue:

  • A file is created specifying your concerns
  • A Development Planner opens an investigation
  • If a violation of the Zoning Bylaw is found, the Development Planner will have the owner remove the problem and landscape the yard properly

Protecting your Privacy

When you contact us, personal information may be collected under the authority of Section 33(c) of the Alberta Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, Section 642 of the Municipal Government Act and/or Section 63 of the Safety Codes Act. The information will be used to process your application(s) or process your complaint. Your name and address may be included on reports that are available to the public. If you have any questions, please contact our office.