This business is described as "providing accommodation on a temporary or permanent basis."
The Rental Accommodation licence is required for operators with three or more units leased out or available for lease. A “unit” includes any residential space rented by an individual or groups of individuals and may include private or shared cooking, laundry, and/or bathroom facilities. A “unit” can range from a single bedroom within a residential property to an entire apartment or house.
The operator of the business should apply for the licence, which could include the landlord or management company that oversees the property. The “operator” is in charge of two or more of the following activities: advertising the rentals, collecting security deposits and rent payments, showing the suites, conducting walk-through inspections, and acting as a contact for tenant inquiries.
Some operators may require more than one licence depending on where the units are located and how many units are on each titled lot. In summary:
- An operator requires one business licence for each titled lot with three or more units, even if the units are in different buildings on the titled lot
- An operator requires one business licence for all of the other units combined
- An operator requires one business licence for each congregate living arrangement (for example: group homes, lodging homes, etc)
This table illustrates whether or not a licence is required:
Example - An operator has the following Units for rent on different Titled Lots:
||Type of Property
||Number of Units for Rent
||Row / Townhouse
||Single family home
||Single family home with secondary suite
||Lodging house with bedrooms for rent
||Condo in a high rise building
(main floor owner-occupied)
This operator requires four (4) separate business licences:
- One (1) licence for Lot A
- One (1) licence for Lot C
- One (1) licence for Lot F
- One (1) licence for Lots B, D, E, G, and H
The Rental Accommodation Guide offers additional information on how to be a good operator.
Edmonton Fire Rescue will be consulted for a recommendation on these applications. Alberta Health Services is notified when an application is submitted.