The Facade Improvement Program encourages commercial building owners in Business Improvement Areas to invest in façade renovations and storefront improvements by providing matching grants to cover a portion of renovation costs.
This program is intended to:
- Make city streets a more inviting and interesting place to walk and shop
- Help building owners attract and retain tenants
- Build civic pride among the local business community
- Contribute to the quality of life of residents, workers and visitors
- Improve the marketability of the local business area
Exterior improvements funded by the program help businesses make a better first impression, showcase merchandise and services, and attract new customers.
Taipan Café, 10627 – 97 Street
Façade improvement completed 2011
Available Financial Incentives
The following Façade Improvement Program matching grant financial incentives may be available to property owners in Business Improvement Areas and other Council supported initiative areas:
- a reimbursement grant up to 50% of eligible construction costs to a maximum amount of $30,000 per building façade.
- a reimbursement grant up to 50% of eligible construction costs to a maximum amount of $60,000 on a corner building. The corner building must have at least two façades facing a public road right-of-way and the improvements must significantly enhance the pedestrian street view on each façade.
How to Apply
The Facade Improvement Program Information Package (10.95 MB) provides a detailed summary of the program's eligibility criteria, design guidelines and eligible improvements. Interested business and property owners are encouraged to contact the Program Manager for assistance in preparing an application.
Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis.