The City of Edmonton invites you to ring in 2016 at the 16th annual New Year’s Eve Downtown festival.
Date: Thursday December 31, 2015
Location: City Hall, City Hall Plaza & Sir Winston Churchill Square
This free, fun-filled, non-alcoholic family event will start inside City Hall with kids' crafts and activities, magicians, balloon artists, face painters and live music.
The celebration will continue outdoors with music, hay rides, free skate rentals, ice skating, fire pits, bannock-making and food concessions,
Main stage entertainment will begin at 9:15pm in Churchill Square, leading up to a spectacular fireworks show at midnight.
Please note: High winds or severe weather may result in the cancellation of some outdoor activities. Call 311 for the most up-to-date event information.
To keep everyone safe during the event and fireworks finale, the following road closures and parking ban will be in effect on December 31, 2015 until approximately 1am on January 1, 2016:
- 99 Street, from 102 Avenue to 102A Avenue
Parking ban on:
- 99 Street, from 101A Avenue to 103A Avenue
· 99 Street, from north of the Stanley A. Milner Library parkade entrance to 102 Avenue (99 Street entrance/exit to the library parkade will be available until 11:30pm only. Use the 100 Street library parkade entrance/exit after this time.)
· 100 Street, from 101A Avenue to 102A Avenue north of the Stanley A. Milner Library parkade and elevator access (100 Street entrance/exit to the library parkade and elevator will remain open.)
· 102 Avenue, from 99 Street to 100 Street
Total closure of:
· 99 Street, from 101A Avenue to 102 Avenue (access to the Stanley A. Milner Library parkade entrance closed)
· 100 Street, from 101A Avenue to 102A Avenue (access available to the Stanley A. Milner Library parkade entrance and elevator only)
· 102 Avenue, from 97 Street to 101 Street (access available to the Canada Place parkade entrance and elevator only)
To ensure public safety, the sidewalks within the fireworks fallout zone will be closed to pedestrians from 11:30pm on December 31, 2015 until 1am on January 1, 2016.
Sidewalk closures will include:
· The east and west sides of 99 Street, between 101A Avenue and 102 Avenue
· The east and west sides of 100 Street, between 101A Avenue and 102 Avenue
· The north and south sides of 102 Avenue, between 99 Street and 100 Street
· The north side of 101A Avenue, between 99 Street and 100 Street
Pedestrian access during this time is available via:
· Tix on the Square entrance (elevator available)
· Edmonton City Centre (CBC entrance)
· City Hall (elevator available
Pedestrians wishing to access the Stanley A. Milner Library parkade during this time should use the underground pedway system accessible from P2 (parking level 2).
Parking will be available for $1 after 5pm at the City Hall, Stanley A. Milner Library and City Centre Mall parkades. For more information, visit the Parking in Downtown Edmonton webpage.
Free New Year's Eve Public Transit Service
Start your New Year on a safe note by taking transit to and from your New Year’s Eve celebrations. ETS free service starts at 6pm on December 31, continuing until 3:30am on January 1.
DATS is free from 6pm on December 31, continuing until 1:30am on January 1.
Note: Route 560 to Spruce Grove, Route 198 to Fort Saskatchewan, Route 199 to Edmonton Garrison, and Route 747 to the Edmonton International Airport are not part of the New Year’s Eve free service.