Main page content begins here

Animal Care & Control is a unit of peace officers who enforce the Animal Licensing and Control Bylaw

About the Service

Animal Care & Control helps to ensure the safe, healthy and peaceful enjoyment of Edmonton neighbourhoods.

Animal Care & Control Officers enforce the Animal Licensing and Control Bylaw, a bylaw that holds pet owner's responsible for their pet's behaviour and ensures that pets are a positive addition to the community.

Learn more about Animal Care & Control Officers. They provide education, mediate neighbour disputes, coach owners on controlling pets and apply bylaw enforcement. They patrol neighbourhoods, pick up lost pets and transport them to the Animal Care & Control Centre.

As City peace officers their duty is to enforce the bylaw, issue tickets and lay charges that may require pet owners to appear in court.

How Do I Obtain the Service?

Do you need help with an animal control matter?

Responsible pet owners make sure their pet is a positive addition to the community. If you have concerns with pet owners or pet behaviour, we can assist you. Report concerns about:  

  • Dog at large
  • Unlicensed cat or dog
  • Dog biting or attacks
  • Dog barking excessively
  • Excessive Defecation
  • Dogs out of control in off leash park

Please contact 311 to report your concern, or you may submit a request online using the self-service reporting tool. 

Submit your dead animal for removal from roadways or public land requests online.

Dead Animal Removal Request Form

By Phone 780-442-5311
What the City does with your request

Responding to Your Complaint

After you submit your complaint to 311, the City takes these steps to help with your issue:

  • A file is created specifying your concerns.
  • An Animal Care & Control Officer is dispatched to investigate animal-at-large and biting complaints immediately.
  • For ongoing issues such as barking or defecation concerns, an officer will investigate your complaint within 4 business days.  
  • The officer may issue a warning notice with directions to remedy the problem within a specified time frame, or issue a fine immediately, depending on the circumstances.
  • The officer may issue an order, which allows the City to fix the problem and bill the property owner for the cost.
  • The City may contact you to appear as a witness, if the matter goes to court.

Most of the fines for animal control concerns are $100 per infraction.

The fine for unlicensed pets in $250.

If your stray pet is transported to the Animal Care & Control Centre, the City collects fines and fees for veterinary and daily care of your pet. The first day costs $25 and thereafter $15 per day.

What complaints will Animal Care & Control Officers investigate?

Animal Care & Control Officers typically investigate complaints of:

  • Excessive barking
  • Dog bites or attacks
  • Pets without a licence
  • Dogs or cats at large
  • Failure to clean up pet defecation (poop)
  • Problem wildlife
  • Dead animals on public property
How are pet-related complaints investigated?

Animal Care & Control Officers investigate complaints by interviewing witnesses, neighbours, complainants and pet owners. When possible, the officer also collects other evidence.

Any investigation can result in a simple warning, a fine or a mandatory court appearance.

What is a mandatory court appearance?

Animal Care & Control Officers can issue a ticket that requires a pet owner to appear in Provincial Court.

This option is used in cases where owners have received multiple fines for repeat offenses, such as a barking dog or dog at-large, and for extreme instances such as serious dog attacks. The Provincial Court can issue higher fines and can even order the City to seize an animal from an owner.

When can an Animal Care & Control Officer seize an animal?

Animal Care & Control Officers can seize animals that are found at-large (for example, stray) within Edmonton city limits or animals that the Provincial Court has ordered them to seize.

Animals seized for being at-large can be picked up by their owner from the Animal Care & Control Centre at 13550 163 Street.

Do Animal Care & Control Officers always seize at-large animals?

No. Under the City’s Free Ride Home program, at-large pets with a valid pet licence can be taken directly home by an officer free of charge once every 12 months.

Who should I call if an animal is being abused or neglected?

The Edmonton Humane Society has the authority to enforce the Alberta Animal Protection Act and investigates reports of abuse. They can be reached by calling 780-471-1774.

The City does not have the mandate or legal authority to investigate animal abuse.

What are the possible fines for violating Edmonton’s Animal Control Bylaw?

Common fines are:

  • Excessive barking - $100
  • Owning an unlicensed pet - $250
  • Animal at-large - $100
  • Failure to remove defecation - $100
  • Failure to control or leash a dog - $100
  • Dog attack causing no injury - $100
  • Dog attack causing injury - $500 to $2,500
What should I do if I have an unwanted cat on my property?

Animal Care & Control Officers do not capture at-large cats because they are generally not a danger to humans. However, stray and at-large cats can be brought to the Animal Care & Control Centre if you trap them humanely.

For information, visit Unwanted Cats on Private Property.

How long are animals kept at the Animal Care & Control Centre?

Animals with no identification are kept up to three business days and animals with identification are kept up to 10 business days.

After that, adoptable animals are transferred to the
Edmonton Humane Society and other rescue groups.

What does the City do to find a lost pet's owner?

Every animal that enters our Animal Care & Control Centre is searched for tags, a tattoo or a microchip.

When an animal has a valid pet licence and is wearing tags, we can immediately contact the owner. A tattoo or microchip with up-to-date information on file also helps us to contact the owner.

Every animal that enters our facility also has its picture posted on our Found Pets search tool.

How many animals go through the Animal Care & Control Centre each year?

On average, the Animal Service Facility sees more than 6,000 animals per year.

In 2015, we reunited 1,797 dogs with their owners and sent 528 to the Edmonton Humane Society and other rescue groups for adoption.

We also reunited 515 cats with their owners and sent 2,080 to the Edmonton Humane Society and other rescue groups for adoption.

How do I get to the Animal Care & Control Centre?

The Animal Care & Control Centre is located at 13550 -163 Street, and shares its entrance with the Chappelle Centre for Animal Care, home of the Edmonton Humane Society.

When travelling westbound on 137 Avenue, turn left onto 163 Street. Proceed south along 163 Street until you see the monument signs for the Chappelle Centre for Animal Care and the Animal Care & Control Centre.

When travelling eastbound on 137 Avenue, turn right onto 163 Street. Proceed south along 163 Street until you see the monument signs for the Chappelle Centre for Animal Care and the Animal Care & Control Centre.

Related Information

Pets in Edmonton - Information for residents about pet laws in our city that is useful to both pet owners and everyone else.

Pet Licences - All cats and dogs six months or older must have a valid pet licence. Pet licences are affordable and available online.

Lost Pets - If you have lost or found a pet, we can help.

New Animal Care and Control Centre - Information about the new Animal Care and Control Centre

WILDNorth (formerly the Wildlife Rehabilitation Society of Edmonton) - Responds to injured and orphaned wildlife concerns in Edmonton.

City Services

View all City Services

I Want To...

End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content