Celebrate Winter with a Winterscape!
Nominations are now closed for the season. If you have nominated a winterscape, we will contact you if you are eligible to take home an award at the Edmonton in Bloom Awards in August 2016.
Interested in More Winterscaping Information?
- Check out our photo gallery of previous submissions and watch for 2016's submissions
- Our winterscaping resources will help you get started on your winter creation
- Build a winterscape at a fun winter event near you this season!
- Missing something? Sign up to receive our seasonal newsletter to stay in the loop about all things in bloom.
Winterscapes are placed in one of 3 categories:
Winter Garden: These natural-looking winterscapes feature landscaped yards with showy plants and wildlife-friendly features.
Winter Art: These artistic winterscapes feature creative winter scenes including snow and/or ice sculptures. Embellish your creations with plant materials, colour and lights - let your imagination run wild!
Winter Play: These fun and play-friendly winterscapes feature whimsical elements such as snow slides, forts, snow and/or ice creations, tree ornaments, and lights.
Cool Winterscaping Ideas
To create a wonderful, colourful winterscape in your yard, school or community, you can:
- Create snowmen or snow creatures
- Sculpt with snow or ice
- Paint masterpieces on the snow with coloured water
- Fill garden planters with evergreen boughs or sprigs of dried flowers to create colourful displays
- Showcase plants with winter interest to add a variety of colours and textures to yards
- Leave your holiday lights up throughout the winter season
- Add decorative garden lights to create a beautiful night-time winter yard
- Hang colourful ornaments from trees or your balcony
- Stack colourful blocks of ice to create interesting sculptures
- Place heated bird baths and feeders to attract winter wildlife to your yard