City of Edmonton icon

If you believe that the City has been negligent in its maintenance of City facilities, roads, trees and sewers, or operation of vehicles which has caused bodily injury or damage to your property, you can file a claim against the City of Edmonton.

About the Service

Occasionally citizens sustain damage to their property or person caused by the negligence of the City.  In the event that a citizen has a legal right to seek recovery for these damages a process has been set up to facilitate this.

Examples of the types of claims which can be made against the City include (but are not limited to) the following:

  • Sewer backups
  • Pothole claims
  • Injuries due to use/operation of ETS transit buses
  • Collision with a City owned vehicle
  • Damage caused by City construction projects such as LRT Construction


How Do I Obtain the Service?

For all claims where you feel the City of Edmonton is responsible for your property damage and/or injury please complete the City of Edmonton's online eClaim form and upload all relevant documents that support your claim.  If you cannot access the eClaims form you may also contact 311 for completion of your claim submission.

Please be aware that submitting a claim does not guarantee you will get paid. The City will only consider compensation when it is proven that the City is legally liable for the injury or property damage sustained. All claim decisions are made based on evidence and relevant legislation.

It is important to outline why you believe the City is responsible for your loss and provide proof of your damages, such as before and after photos of the damaged area.

Section B Accident Benefits

If you are a pedestrian injured by a City-owned vehicle, or claiming for an injury sustained while a passenger of a Edmonton Transit Service (ETS) or a Dedicated Accessible Transit Service (DATS) vehicle, you should submit the AB1 Notice of Loss and Proof of Claim form. This form and all Accident Benefit forms can be downloaded from Alberta Treasury Board and Finance. Please note, Section B Accident Benefits do not apply to a passenger on the Light Rail Transit (LRT) system.

Be sure to submit your form within the required 10 business days. This form should also be available from your Health Care provider as well as all other Accident Benefit forms.

For more information on the Claims Process, visit Claims Management or contact us by:

Risk Management
Fax Fax: 780-496-5149
In Person

9th Floor Reception
Chancery Hall
#3 Sir Winston Churchill Square
8am-4:30pm Monday - Friday



Risk Management
4th Floor Chancery Hall                              
3 Sir Winston Churchill Square                     
Edmonton, Alberta  T5J 2C3

By Phone 780-496-7200
What the City does with your request

We will acknowledge your claim by letter within approximately 2 weeks of your submission of the proof of claim form, investigate the loss and respond to you with either an acceptance or denial.  

Please note that depending on the type of claim it may take up to 90 days or longer to come to a final determination of your claim.  We do suggest that you contact your insurer to see if coverage may exist under your insurance policy for the type of claim you are making against the City. Should your insurer feel that the City is responsible for your damages they will try to recover their claim payment from the City after they make a payment to you.


Contact the City About This Service

Risk Management, Law Branch

10th Floor, Chancery Hall
3 Sir Winston Churchill Square
Edmonton, AB, T5J 2C3

Hours of Operation:
Monday to Friday, 8am-4:30pm

Telephone 780-496-7200
Fax 780-496-5149