Your Home’s Biggest Energy User

On average, home heating accounts for about 2/3 of your home’s energy use, so making the right choice in a heating system is important. Most homes in Edmonton are heated using a forced-air furnace in which natural gas combustion heats the air, which is then blown throughout the home via a network of ducts and vents.

EnerGuide and ENERGY STAR

For all gas-heating appliances, look for the EnerGuide or ENERGY STAR label (or both) to determine the energy efficiency of the appliance. Efficiency is measured by Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE). An AFUE of 90% means that 90% of the energy in the fuel becomes heat for the home and the other 10% escapes up the chimney and elsewhere. Look for an efficiency above 95% as best practice.

Condensing Furnaces and Boilers

Condensing furnaces or Boilers condense the water vapour produced in the combustion process and use the heat from this condensation. New furnaces have an AFUE of 90% or better, but a lot of old ones are still in operation. The cost of a new furnace for an average home can usually be recouped in energy savings in less than 10 years.

Did You Know?
Use a programmable thermostat to drop the temperature by 1oC over an eight-hour period to save about 2% on your heating energy consumption. Replace an 85% efficiency furnace with a 92% efficiency furnace to reduce your heating costs by 7%.

Home Heating graphic