Edmonton’s River Valley provides citizens and visitors the opportunity to enjoy the outdoors year-round. During the winter months, many activities can be enjoyed including outdoor skating. There are endless options for family-friendly skating experiences in the River Valley from IceWays looping through forests to shinny ponds and table land ice surfaces.
River Valley Parks and Facilities has now completed its 20-year strategic plan for outdoor ice surfaces in the River Valley. To find out more, view the report:
February 2018: River Valley Ice Strategy commenced
November/December 2018: Phase 1 of Public Engagement
February/March 2019: Phase 2 of Public Engagement
June 2019: River Valley Ice Strategy Complete
Phase 1 – November/December 2018
- Stakeholders and the public will provide input to REFINE the draft vision and areas of focus for Edmonton’s River Valley ice surfaces.
- Considering the draft vision and strategic areas of focus, stakeholders and the public will provide input to ADVISE the City about priority objectives for River Valley ice surfaces.
Activities: Online public survey and stakeholder sessions
Phase 2 – February/March 2019
- Stakeholders and the public to provide input on how the City can REFINE the draft 5, 10, 20-year priority objectives.
- Stakeholders will provide input to ADVISE the City on opportunities for partnership, and other forms of collaboration regarding implementing the draft 5, 10, and 20-year priority objectives.
Activities: Public engagement sessions (details below) and stakeholder sessions.
|Friday February 22||6-8pm||Victoria Park Pavilion|
|Saturday February 23||11-1pm||Hawrelak Park Pavilion|
|Saturday February 23||2-4pm||
Rundle Family Centre
Over the years, various new ice surfaces have been built during the winter months in the River Valley. The River Valley Ice Strategy provides a comprehensive review of the current ice surfaces and contains recommendations and an implementation plan for future ice surfaces in the River Valley.
Engaging citizens as part of the City’s decision-making process was critical to the success of the strategy as it:
- Ensured the vision for River Valley ice surfaces was shaped by all
- Provided a clear understanding of how citizens enjoy and are interested in experiencing River Valley ice surfaces
- Created alignment between the strategy and supporting implementation plan with interests and expectations of citizens
- Explored how stakeholders can be part of implementing any proposed changes to River Valley ice surfaces.