Edmonton’s River Valley provides citizens and visitors with the opportunity to enjoy the outdoors year-round. During the winter months, many activities can be enjoyed, including outdoor skating. There are endless options for family-friendly skating experiences in the River Valley, from IceWays looping through forests to shinny ponds and tableland ice surfaces.
River Valley Parks and Facilities has completed its 20-year strategic plan for outdoor ice surfaces in the River Valley.
February 2018: River Valley Ice Strategy commenced
November/December 2018: Phase 1 of Public Engagement
February/March 2019: Phase 2 of Public Engagement
June 2019: River Valley Ice Strategy Complete
Phase 1 – November/December 2018
- Stakeholders and the public will provide input to refine the draft vision and areas of focus for Edmonton’s River Valley ice surfaces.
- Considering the draft vision and strategic areas of focus, stakeholders and the public will provide input to advise the City about priority objectives for River Valley ice surfaces.
Activities: Online public survey and stakeholder sessions
Phase 2 – February/March 2019
Purpose: Finalize 5, 10, and 20-year priority objectives to align with each area of focus and develop an implementation plan, including the identification of key partnerships to help advance the strategy.
- Stakeholders and the public to provide input on how the City can refine the draft 5, 10, 20-year priority objectives.
- Stakeholders will provide input to advise the City on opportunities for partnership and other forms of collaboration regarding implementing the draft 5, 10, and 20-year priority objectives.
Activities: Public engagement sessions and stakeholder sessions.
Over the years, various new ice surfaces have been built during the winter months in the River Valley. The River Valley Ice Strategy provides a comprehensive review of the current ice surfaces and contains recommendations and an implementation plan for future ice surfaces in the River Valley.
Engaging citizens as part of the City’s decision-making process was critical to the success of the strategy as it:
- Ensured the vision for River Valley ice surfaces was shaped by all
- Provided a clear understanding of how citizens enjoy and are interested in experiencing River Valley ice surfaces
- Created alignment between the strategy and supporting implementation plan with the interests and expectations of citizens
- Explored how stakeholders can be part of implementing any proposed changes to River Valley ice surfaces.