Main page content begins here

Current Legal Situation

Right now, it is only legal to use cannabis if you have a medical prescription. Selling cannabis for non-medicinal purposes is still illegal.

The Federal government has passed Bill C-45 to legalize cannabis for sale and/or consumption for non-medicinal purposes. It will only be legal to sell or consume cannabis for non-medicinal purposes after Wednesday October 17, 2018. 

Opening a Retail Store

Development Permit Applications Status Updates
The list of cannabis Development Permit applications received as part of the expression of interest and random selection process is published Monday, Wednesday and Friday, providing applicant name, development address, and application status. 

Further details can be found on, selecting "Address Lookup," entering the address information, and choosing the "Applications" tab. You can also select "Cannabis Locations" to see where locations have been approved and areas where buffers from sensitive uses apply.  


Opening a Cannabis Retail Store

The City of Edmonton will begin accepting additional cannabis retail sales development permit applications by email on a first-come, first-served basis beginning August 28, 2018 at 8am. Please review the application process for opening a cannabis retail store for more details.

City of Edmonton Cannabis Random Selection Draw

As part of the cannabis permit application process, the City of Edmonton video recorded the random selection draw that determined the order in which applicants will come to the City to apply for their permits, and the order in which applications will be reviewed.

MNP LLP., a large Canadian full-service chartered accountancy and business advisory firm, conducted the random selection draw on behalf of the City of Edmonton. 

Commercial Grow and Processing Operations

Zoning Regulations

The City has classified Cannabis Production and Distribution as a General industrial Use (definition, regulation) within the Edmonton Zoning Bylaw 12800. The General Industrial Use classification is restricted to areas zoned industrial and is not permitted in commercially-zoned locations.

The following industrial zones include the General Industrial Use class. Land that is zoned one of the below zones may allow for a cannabis production facility that complies with Zoning Bylaw regulations and receives a federal licence.

  • IB - Industrial Business Zone
  • IL - Light Industrial Zone
  • IM - Medium Industrial Zone
  • IH - Heavy Industrial Zone
  • EIB - Ellerslie Industrial Business Zone
  • EIM - Ellerslie Medium Industrial Zone
  • EETL - Edmonton Energy and Technology Logistics Zone
  • EETM - Edmonton Energy and Technology Park Manufacturing Zone
  • MA, MA1, MA2, MA3 - Municipal Airport Zones
Development and Building Permit Requirements

When you find a potential location for a cannabis production and distribution facility, you can visit the Edmonton maps website to check the zoning of the site.

To apply for a Development Permit, you will need to ensure you provide a complete application.

Commercial Development Permit Application Form

Commercial Industrial Checklist

The Development Officer reviewing your application may require the following additional items:

  1. Environmental Nuisance and Health Impacts Assessment (Section 14.5)
  2. Assessment of Risk of Industrial Activities (Section 14.6)

Note: Applications should also comply with the General Performance Standards when designing screening/security features for the site (Section 57 and Section 58).

Licensing Requirements

Under the proposed Federal Cannabis Act, all producers of cannabis or cannabis products will need to be federally licensed to operate. The Government of Canada will establish application processes and criteria for people who want to become producers of legal recreational cannabis.

Cannabis for Medical Purposes Regulations

The federal government currently regulates licensed producers of medical cannabis through the Access to Cannabis for Medical Purposes Regulations. Find more information about cannabis for medical purposes on the Government of Canada website.


On October 17, 2018, cannabis will be legalized across Canada. Cannabis refers to products made from the leaves and flowers of the cannabis plant.


In April 2017 the federal government introduced a bill to legalize recreational cannabis by summer 2018. The federal bill creates a strict legal framework to control how cannabis is produced, distributed and sold. The federal bill also defines the legal age and possession amount for cannabis.

Visit the Government of Canada website for more information on the federal legalization and regulation of cannabis.

In February 2018, the provincial government released legislation and regulations regarding cannabis legalization. Visit the Government of Alberta website to read the Alberta Cannabis Framework.

Bylaws Specific to Cannabis

Before the legalization of cannabis, the City of Edmonton will make amendments to the Zoning Bylaw 12800, Business Licence Bylaw 13138 and the Public Places Bylaw 14614.

Past Bylaw Amendments

The City of Edmonton has taken proactive measures to prepare for the legalization of cannabis. In June 2017 City Council approved amendments to the Zoning Bylaw that:

  • Created a definition and use class for Cannabis Retail Sales to separate cannabis stores from other retail stores
  • Clarified which existing definitions in the Zoning Bylaw do not include the production, sale or consumption of cannabis

Read more about the first stage of Zoning Bylaw amendments.

Regulatory Projects and Processes

City Project Stage

The City of Edmonton advanced a proposed land use framework for cannabis retail stores to City Council on May 7, 2018. The amendments to Zoning Bylaw 12800 were approved by City Council on June 12, 2018. The framework is based on:

  • Compliance with provincial regulations
  • Results of public engagement activities conducted in November and December 2017
  • Feedback from stakeholders on the first draft shared in February and March 2018
  • Providing opportunities across Edmonton for cannabis store locations

The amendments to Zoning Bylaw 12800 included adding Cannabis Retail Sales as a permitted use to thirteen zones and adding separation distances for cannabis stores, along with other regulations, to Section 70.

Refer to Zoning Bylaw 12800 to check which zones allow cannabis stores and to review applicable regulations.

Alberta Gaming & Liquor Commission Processes

Alberta Gaming, Liquor & Cannabis (AGLC) began accepting retail cannabis licence applications on March 6, 2018.

AGLC is accepting applications in order to conduct extensive mandatory background checks.

The background check process can begin prior to having municipal approval for a store location.

The City of Edmonton is not in a position to confirm potential cannabis store locations until a cannabis store application is submitted. 

For More Information




End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content