Temporary adjustments to our streets were implemented earlier this year to support people getting outside, spacing out and moving safely.
- Tuesday, September 29 - lane closures will begin to be removed
- Tuesday, October 27 - all Shared Streets will begin to be removed
Removing these adjustments supports increased vehicle traffic with back to school and return to work, and considers increased costs and maintenance requirements due to upcoming winter conditions.
A number of lessons were learned through the Shared Streets and lane closures implemented in 2020, including confirming (through a partnership study with the University of Alberta) how they positively impacted individuals' abilities to physically distance. These experiences have provided many considerations that will be explored further when looking at opportunities for 2021.
The City of Edmonton continues to encourage people to get outside, space out, move safely and make use of the sidewalks and many pathways:
- We have an extensive network of shared pathways and trails, and bike routes in Edmonton, see a map at edmonton.ca/discover
- Recreation centres are currently offering outdoor fitness classes
- If you cannot keep a physical distance, please wear a mask to help keep everyone safe