The City of Edmonton offers a Property Tax Monthly Payment Plan that enables you to pay your taxes monthly, instead of in one annual payment.
After you in this plan, your monthly property tax amount will be withdrawn directly from your bank account on the first business day of each month. By paying your property taxes monthly through this plan, you can be certain your property taxes are paid in full each year and you will not incur any llate-payment penalties.
How it Works
For the first six months of the year, your monthly instalment is based on 1/12 of the previous year’s tax amount. The instalment amount is adjusted for the last six months of the year based on the new annual tax amount.
If you join any time during a tax year (January 1-December 31), you must make up any “missed payments.” For example, if you decide to start automatic bank withdrawals on May 1, you need to make up the payments for January, February, March and April and pay a one-time administration fee.
The amount of property taxes each property owner in Edmonton pays is unique to that property. Therefore, the process of joining this plan requires the City issue an enrolment application that reflects the current state of your property tax account.
As a result, the enrolment process might take up to three weeks, given you provide all the supporting documentation in a timely manner.
Step 1: Request a Property Tax Monthly Payment Plan application package.
- By calling 311 (780-442-5311, if outside of Edmonton)
- By emailing email@example.com
- In person:
Edmonton Service Centre
2nd Floor Edmonton Tower
10111 104 Avenue
Step 2: Complete the application form—unique to your property and tax account and sent to you by the City of Edmonton within three business days.
- Ensure you accept the terms and conditions of the Property Tax Monthly Payment Plan enrolment indicated on the reverse of the application form
- Include a VOID cheque or your financial institution’s banking pre-authorization form
- If applicable, include a separate cheque for the initial payment or indicate how you are making the payment
Step 3: Return your signed application form to the City by mail or email.
- Ensure you submit an initial payment, if necessary
- Attach any additional documents, if required
Good to Know
Ensure your financial institution is not paying your property taxes on your behalf
The City of Edmonton does not accept credit cards directly as a method of paying property taxes
- If a payment is not honoured by your financial institution, the following service charges will be applied to your account on top of any outstanding balance penalty: $35 per account (if single account) and $17.50 per account (if multiple accounts).
- The monthly payment can be withdrawn only from one bank account
- Automatic withdrawal will occur on the first business day of each month
- If you are paying property taxes on behalf of a property/business owner, include a letter of authorization with the completed application form
- If you are signing as the Executor or Power of Attorney, submit supporting documents with the completed application form
If you wish to cancel your enrolment in the City's Property Tax Monthly Payment Plan, ensure you provide a written and signed cancellation notice to Assessment and Taxation at least two weeks before the next month’s withdrawal date.
If two payments are not honoured by your bank, the City will cancel your enrolment in the plan. All unpaid taxes will be due and payable at that time and will be subject to service charges and late-payment penalties.