Never leave your cigarette unattended.
Smoking is one of the leading causes of fire deaths.
Each year, inappropriately discarded smoking materials cause millions of dollars in damages. If you smoke, make sure you:
- Always use a deep, non-combustible receptacle that cigarettes can fall into.
- Do not extinguish smoker’s materials in plant pots, potting soil, peat moss or other types of soil.
- Never discard smoking materials on the ground. In addition to being a fire hazard, that is considered littering and is subject to a $250 fine.
- Ensure that matches and cigarettes are wet before you empty them into a garbage receptacle. This will prevent them from smoldering and starting a fire.
- Keep smoking materials, including lighters and matches, out of reach of children.