Statistics show that December is the most dangerous month in terms of electrical fires. The weather is cold and days are short, so more heating and lighting appliances are used around the home.
- Always keep an eye out for warning signs of a potential problem, including plugs and sockets that feel hot to the touch.
- Do not use any appliances or extension cords with frayed wiring where the lead enters the plug, or exposed wires.
- Do not plug several appliances into one socket. This could cause an overload, which can lead to a short circuit and a fire.
- Never plug a second appliance into a socket that is connected to a high-use appliance such as a television or coffee maker.
- Never run cords under rugs, carpets or mats as they can fray or snap unnoticed.
- Always use a ULC (Underwriters Laboratories of Canada) approved cord.
- Always use the correct wattage when fitting a light bulb in a lamp. The bulb can overheat or short circuit, which can cause a fire.
- Extension cords should not be used in place of permanent wiring.