Main page content begins here

About Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odourless, colorless, toxic gas. It is produced when fuels are burned incompletely. There is an extremely low risk of carbon monoxide poisoning from regularly maintained appliances that are properly ventilated.

Improperly installed or poorly maintained appliances that use fuels (gas, oil, coal, wood, charcoal, kerosene, propane or natural gas) may create unsafe levels of CO.

Preventing Carbon Monoxide Hazards

There are steps you can take to prevent the buildup of carbon monoxide in your home.

  • Immediately move your car out of the garage after starting it. This prevents exhaust fumes from seeping into the building through connecting doors or vents.
  • Review the manuals provided with your fuel burning appliances.
  • Have your fuel burning appliances checked annually by a qualified service technician or heating contractor.
  • Check that chimneys and vents are not corroded or blocked (by snow or other debris.)
  • Keep combustion air inlet ducts clear of debris.
  • Use appliances only for the purpose for which they are intended.
  • Do not operate chainsaws, lawn mowers, snow blowers in a closed area (garage, workshop and so on).

Purchasing a Carbon Monoxide Alarm

When you buy a CO alarm, make sure that it is certified to Canadian standards. Products with CSA 6.19-01 on the packaging have been tested to the Residential Carbon Monoxide Alarming Devices standards. The alarm will also show a replacement date.

Follow the manufacturer's instructions for installation, proper use and maintenance. CO alarms are usually installed between sleeping areas and your appliances.

Symptoms of CO Poisoning

Exposure to CO can cause symptoms such as dizziness, headache, nausea, fatigue, burning eyes, vomiting or loss of muscle control. As there can be many other causes for these symptoms, including the flu, CO poisoning is often difficult to diagnose.

Other warning signs include:

  • Stale or stuffy air
  • Excessive moisture on windows and walls
  • Soot buildup around appliances and vents
  • A yellow flame in a natural gas appliance instead of blue
  • A pilot light that keeps going out

Fire Talk

Fire Talk is information on fire safety and fire prevention, translated into 19 different languages.

For More Information

Fire Prevention Office
10465 - 105 Street NW
Edmonton, AB T5H 0P5

Hours: Monday to Friday, 8am to 4:30pm (Closed on weekends and statutory holidays)


780-496-3628 (voicemail only)


End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content