The Benchmark Program is now accepting applications for commemoration on existing benches, but plaque installation will not occur in 2020. Commemoration requests for new benches are not available at this time. Existing benches will not be refurbished this year. Please follow the Donor Application Process.
About the Program
The Benchmark Program was established to offer individuals and groups the opportunity to honour loved ones or to celebrate special occasions through the placement of a commemorative plaque on a bench in City parks and open spaces.
Existing benches in City parkland and open spaces are available for refurbishment and dedication. All Benchmark plaques will be displayed for a period of 10 years from the time of installation. Prior to the end of the commemoration period, the donor can submit a renewal application to request that the City continue to display the plaque under the Benchmark Program for an additional fee. Your donation of $2,500 includes the refurbishment of your chosen existing bench, individualized bronze plaque, and related maintenance over a 10-year period. New benches are not available for commemoration at this time. While intake is ongoing, refurbishments and plaque installations take place from May to October.
For more information on the Benchmark program, please review the Frequently Asked Questions.
Donor Application Process
- Complete and submit the application form
- If you need assistance completing the application form, please contact the program coordinator
- The coordinator may approve your application immediately if an existing bench is selected OR
- New bench projects will require circulation and approval;
- Circulations with stakeholders may take up to three months;
- Once feedback is received from the circulation with stakeholders and approval is given, the program coordinator will move forward with the application
- At the same time, the program coordinator will work with you to develop a proof of your commemorative plaque
- The program coordinator will send a confirmation email with the approved location, plaque proof and invoice
- Please respond to the confirmation email and pay the invoice within 30 days of receipt
- Once your payment has been received, the program coordinator will schedule the installation and order the plaque. Plaque production takes 4 to 6 weeks.
- Installations take place May to October
- Once the installation is complete, the program coordinator will email you an update with a photo of the completed installation
- Your 10-year Commemorative period will begin upon installation
Please complete this form to submit your inquiry to the program coordinator.
Your name and contact information is collected under authority of Section 33(c) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIP) Act and is protected in accordance with the Act's privacy provisions. This information is used by the City of Edmonton to distribute information to you. If you have questions about the collection or use of this information, contact the Benchmark Program Coordinator by phoning 311 or by email to email@example.com.