At Capital City Clean Up (CCCU), volunteer safety is our first concern.
Please keep the following information in mind whenever you’re taking part in a CCCU activity.
- Try to work with a partner or small group
- Carry a cellphone if available - especially if working alone
- Only take part in CCCU activities during daylight hours
- Be familiar with the area in which you are volunteering
- Dress for the weather
- Wear proper footwear such as runners or work boots
- Use sunscreen, hats and sunglasses
- Carry drinking water with you
- If you have an allergy to insect stings, please carry the necessary medication in the event of a sting
Volunteer Safety During Litter Pick Up
- As an Adopt-a-Block volunteer, wear your hat to be identifiable to the public
- Work in inclement weather
- Walk on roadways
- Touch or pick up sharp objects, chemicals including partially filled oil or household cleaner bottles, syringes or any other hazardous materials. Make note of your location and call 311 or 780-414-7373 for pickup
- Pick up anything that too heavy to lift or too large to fit in a garbage bag. Make note of your location and call 311 for pickup.
- Wade in any body of water to retrieve garbage including the river, streams, creeks, community ponds or dugouts
- Enter or disrupt a homeless camp. If you encounter a homeless camp on Parkland, whether occupied or not, leave it and the occupants alone. Take note of the camp location and report it directly to 311