Get the Leading Edge!
Please Note: This program is full for 2017!
Ages 13-17 years
Develop leadership skills and gain valuable experience while having fun outdoors. Give back to your community and earn leadership or volunteer hours for your school too!
Volunteer to be a Leader in Training (LIT) and work with recreation leaders to run summer programs for children. Choose from the following:
Join the fun at a playground near you. As a playground LIT you get a chance to participate in a variety of activities, from games and crafts to drama, music, sports, and more. Gain experience working with 6-12 year olds in a fun, flexible setting.
Work out of a community facility with children ages 3-12 years in a week-long themed program including sports, drama, and science. Those in registered programs also go on plenty of field trips.
Flying Eagle Programs
Help participants learn about Aboriginal culture and traditions. Activities
include traditional games and crafts. Gain experience working with 6‐12 year olds in a fun, flexible setting.
After an interview and training, you can volunteer for as little as 2 weeks or as many as 7 weeks.
How To Apply (Full for 2017)
Step 1. Apply and Pay $20 Application Fee
Registration for summer 2018 opens April 1 and closes June 14. Thank you for your interest.
Completed applications should be returned in one of these ways:
- Drop-off at The City of Edmonton Circle Square Office - 11808 St. Albert Trail
- Drop-off at a Registration Night
- Fax to 780-496-2955
- Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Step 2. Attend an Registration Night
This process takes about an hour to complete. You will have a short interview and choose your preferred volunteer sites or programs.
- You need to Register to attend a registration night. This can be done by calling 311 or stopping by your local recreation facility starting April 1 2018.
- Site volunteer placements are first come, first serve for selections. Registered Camp placements and some play ground sites fill up fast so register for one of the early registration nights to get your preferred dates and locations.
Remember to bring:
- Two pieces of government-issued ID (originals as well as a photo copy of them), one should be photo ID for a security check: driver's license, learner's permit, birth certificate, Alberta Health card, passport, immigration ID card, citizenship card, Indian status card, permanent resident card, firearms card.
- A list of weeks when you will be available to volunteer.
Step 3. Train
You must attend a 2-day LIT training session.
These dates fill up fast so register early at one of the registration nights to get your preferred dates.
*Level Two is for L.I.T.s who have had at least one year of LIT experience.
Step 4. Volunteer
Your commitment is to volunteer at your chosen sites or programs for a minimum of two weeks. You can choose to volunteer for a minimum two weeks up to a maximum seven weeks.
There are three LIT coordinators who will be your guides this summer. You can reach them at 780-944-7413.