Get the Leading Edge!
Ages 13-17 years
Develop leadership skills and gain valuable experience while having fun outdoors. Give back to your community and earn leadership or volunteer hours for your school too!
Volunteer to be an L.I.T. and work with recreation leaders to run summer programs for children. Choose from the following:
Join the fun at a playground near you. As a playground L.I.T. you get a chance to participate in a variety of activities, from games and crafts to drama, music, sports, and more. Gain experience working with 6-12 year olds in a fun, flexible setting.
Work out of a community facility with children ages 3-12 years in a week-long themed program including sports, drama, and science. Those in registered programs also go on plenty of field trips.
After an interview and training, you can volunteer for as little as 2 weeks or as many as 7 weeks.
How To Apply
Step 1. Apply and Pay $20 Application Fee
Note: Registration is closed for summer 2016.
Registration for summer 2017 opens April 1, 2017. Thank you for your interest.
Completed applications should be returned in one of these ways:
- Drop-off at The City of Edmonton Circle Square Office - 11808 St. Albert Trail
- Drop-off at a Registration Night (TBA)
- Fax to 780-496-2955
- Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Step 2. Attend an Registration Night
This process takes about an hour to complete. You will have a short interview and choose your preferred volunteer sites or programs.
Remember to bring:
- 2 pieces of government-issued ID (originals as well as a photo copy of them), 1 should be photo ID for a security check: driver's license, learner's permit, birth certificate, Alberta Health card, passport, immigration ID card, citizenship card, Indian status card, permanent resident card, firearms card.
- A list of weeks when you will be available to volunteer.
Step 3. Train
You must attend a 2-day L.I.T. training session.
These dates fill up fast so register early at one of the registration nights to get your preferred dates.
*Level 2 is for L.I.T.s who have had at least 1 year of L.I.T. experience.
Step 4. Volunteer
Your commitment is to volunteer at your chosen sites or programs for a minimum of 2 weeks. You can choose to volunteer for a minimum 2 weeks up to a maximum 7 weeks.
There are 3 L.I.T. coordinators who will be your guides this summer. You can reach them at 780-944-7413.
Want to see some of the fun we've had? Visit our Photo Gallery.