- Spring 2012, to gather feedback on the schematic designs.
- Winter 2010, to consult Edmontonians on the arena project.
Input gathered assists City Council in making decisions surrounding the proposed Downtown Arena and Entertainment District.
This consultation sought input on the schematic designs for the downtown arena and related facilities on the site.
Feedback was gathered through:
- online questionnaires
- public open houses
- a display and questionnaires at City Hall
- mail-out questionnaires for those without Internet access
- a stakeholder session (as per the City’s Public Involvement Policy for which a list of invitees is attached).
These consultations took place in May and June 2012. Results found that:
- 82% agreed the Arena would be an identifiable image and landmark for Edmonton.
- 79% saw the Community Rink as a valued recreation opportunity to the downtown and surrounding areas.
- 74% agreed the arena would provide an anchor for revitalizing the surrounding area.
A final report on this consultation process was presented to Council on July 17, 2012.
Arena Project Consultation (Winter 2010)
This public consultation included:
- an online questionnaire that received 29,000 responses
- well-attended public open houses
- a statistically valid telephone survey
- two stakeholder sessions (list of invitees is attached)
The consultations sought input on:
- The concept of a Downtown Arena and Entertainment facility
- The funding model for a Downtown Arena and Entertainment facility
- The impact of a Downtown Arena and Entertainment facility
These consultations took place in November and December 2010. Results from the statistically valid survey found that:
- 67% of Edmontonians supported or strongly supported a downtown arena
- 68% said they believed it would help revitalize downtown
- 82% citing specific benefits such as increased tourism, more investment and development
The Public Consultation Process
Involving Edmonton citizens and garnering the input of the community for the proposed Downtown Arena and Entertainment district is a priority. Input gathered helps City Council in making decisions surrounding the proposed Downtown Arena and Entertainment District.
- The City of Edmonton is committed to gathering meaningful input from the public
- The City’s Public Involvement Policy ensures this process is respectful and accessible
- The Public Involvement FAQ page has more information about the process