Revenue generated by photo enforcement does NOT go into general revenue. Revenue from photo radar can only be spent on traffic safety programs, not on general City expenses.
Revenue covers operating costs of automated enforcement including a base allocation to Edmonton Police Service. In 2015, Edmonton Police Service received $18 million from automated enforcement.
- 15% of the total fine is given to Victims Services
- 16.67% goes to the Alberta Government
- The remaining fine balance goes to the Reserve Fund and is used to fund safety and community projects at Council’s direction
- Any late payment penalty attached to the fine goes to the province (amount of $20 or 20%, whichever is greater)
- Speed infractions follow the specified penalties as listed in the Alberta Traffic Safety Act