June is Bike Month
Celebrate Bike Month with the City of Edmonton. Cycling is good for our minds, bodies, and city. Together, we can reduce traffic congestion, conserve Edmonton's road infrastructure, and protect the environment.
Take the Pledge
Support cycling in our City and take the pledge to bike to work or school at least one day per week. Share the pledge with others to get your friends and family on board.
Bike to School
Throughout Bike Month, try biking to school at least one day per week. Below are some tips for organizing safe and fun bike to school events in your community.
Have Bike Parade
- Draw a route map and schedule a cycling bus.
- You may have two or three buses coming from different directions that join for a triumphant ride into the school.
Organize a Bike-a-Thon
- Combine fundraising with exercise and fresh air.
- Students collect pledges for biking to school.
- The class with the largest number of participants could win a prize.
Map Safe Routes to School
- Get students to mark their route to school on a neighbourhood map.
- The most popular routes may be identified as Best Routes to School.
Assign Biking Buddies
- Peers in the same neighbourhood arrange to bike to school together.
- Older students can partner with younger students to model and promote safety.
Switch to Bike-Pooling
- Parents who already carpool can arrange to bike children to school instead of driving.