Helpful tips for all road users.
A bike route on 102 Avenue from 136 Street to the 102 Avenue Bridge over Groat Road will be completed this fall.
This route is part of the 102 Avenue bike route planned to link to destinations that include Stanley Milner Library, City Hall, 124 Street, High Street shopping areas, and more. The bike route will continue east towards downtown in 2017.
How to Use the New Route
Shared-use paths are for many activities. You can bike, walk, run, and more. The shared-use path extends from 136 Street to the 102 Avenue Bridge over Groat Road.
- On your bike: Use the path to travel in both directions. Ring your bell to let others know you’re coming and that you plan to pass on their left. Always yield to pedestrians.
- On your feet: Keep to the right and be aware that others may choose to pass you on your left.
- In your car: Check both directions for bikes when turning on or off 102 Avenue.
New! White Squares at Crosswalks
White Squares at Crosswalk on 102 Avenue Bike Route
When the shared-use path crosses an intersection, the crosswalk will be lined with white squares. These are shared bicycle and pedestrian crossings.
- On your bike: Yield to cars and pedestrians and go through when it is safe. At these intersections, there is no need to dismount your bike to cross.
- In your car: Be aware that people on bikes may be riding across.
New! Green Stripes at Connaught Drive
Green Stripes on 102 Avenue Bike Route
There will be green stripes on the road where bikes lanes cross an intersection.
- On your bike: Yield to pedestrians and go through when it is safe. There is no need to dismount your bike to cross.
- In your car: Yield to bikes and pedestrians when crossing the green stipes at Connaught Drive.
New! Bike Triggered Crossing
This helps bikes cross 102 Avenue at 136 Street to access the shared-use path.
- On your bike:
- Watch for the ‘Entering Bike Detection Zone’ sign.
- Wait on the pavement marking; you will be detected by the sensors under the road.
- A caged light on the opposite side of the intersection will confirm you have activated the timer for the signal.
- In your car:
- Be aware that bikes may be getting off the shared-use path and moving onto the road to continue their trip.
Note: After coming to a stop, if the intersection is clear and it is safe to cross 102 Avenue, you may proceed through without using the signal.
Plan Your Trip
The shared-use path ends at 136 Street. Here are two options to continue your trip:
- Turn north and then west on the 104 Avenue shared-use lane.
- Use the bike-triggered crossing to cross 102 Avenue and go south.
There are shared-use lanes with sharrow markings for travelling north/south on 136 Street.
The new bike route ends on the east side of the 102 Avenue Bridge over Groat Road. Here are two options to continue east:
- Head north into the residential area on the shared-use path.
- Cross 102 Avenue to continue travelling east on 102 Avenue in the roadway.
Interactive Bike Map with bike routes, parking, and route disruptions.
Dedicated bike infrastructure will continue east towards downtown in 2017.
Find Out More
Shared-use paths are for many activities. You can bike, walk, run, and more!