Do I Need A Permit?
Minor structures under 1.85 m (6 feet) do not require permits: barbecue, bird feeder, dog house, treehouse, flagpole, fire pit, lawn sculpture.
Permits are NOT required when a structure is:
- Less than 10 square metres (108 square feet);
- Not attached to a house or any other building;
- Not connected to electricity, plumbing or gas lines; and
- Meets the height restrictions and location restrictions.
Height and location restrictions:
- Not located in the front yard;
- Roof midpoint is no higher than 4.3m (14.1 feet)
- No less than 0.9 m (3 feet) from any other structure on the site
- No less than 0.9 m (3 feet) from interior side property lines (not a corner site)
- No less than 0.6 m (2 feet) from the rear property line
For structures attached to a house or within 0.9 m (3 feet) of a house see Home Additions