The existing service location will close on February 24 at 4:30pm. Starting February 27 this service will be provided in Edmonton Tower at the Edmonton Service Centre 10111 104 Avenue.
Even indoor pets can slip away and get lost. That's what a licence is for.
A pet licence is a unique ID that tells us your pet belongs to you. It allows us reunite the two of you more quickly if your pet ever gets lost or displaced in an emergency. It even gets your companion one free ride home each year. Your pet safe and sound. To us, that peace-of-mind is priceless.
You can use eServices to license your pet online. Through your account you can also update your contact information, make changes to your licence, or cancel it if you no longer have pets.
Why to License Your Pet
In addition to keeping your pet safe, your licence fees pay for a lot of important things. By licensing you are:
- Providing food, shelter, medical care and enrichment for approximately 6,000 lost pets and stray animals each year
- Supporting local rescues and shelters
- Providing emergency first-aid veterinary care to injured pets.
- Maintaining Edmonton's off-leash parks
- Supporting responsible pet ownership education and enforcement
It's the Law
The fine for not having a valid pet licence is $250...which is a lot more than the licence fee! All cats and dogs over six months of age – even indoor pets – must be licensed and you need to renew your pet licence every 12 months.
The City of Edmonton encourages owners to spay or neuter their pets by offering reduced licence fees.
- Seniors and those on income support may qualify for a half-price licence for one spayed or neutered pet per residence. Seniors may apply online.
- Certified Assistance (Guide) Dogs can be licensed free of charge.
- Licence applications for Assistance Dogs and from individuals on income support must be made in person or by mail. Supporting documentation is required to qualify for these fee reductions. Please call 311 for questions on special rates.
What You Need to Know
- The maximum number of pets allowed per residence is six cats and three dogs.
- You must be 18 or older to license a pet.
- All dogs and cats must display a City-issued licence tag when off their owner’s property. Cats with a legible tattoo or microchip are exempt; but we strongly recommend wearing the tag for visible identification.
- If you move, no longer have your pet, or your contact information changes, please let us know. Information can be updated online, in-person, or by calling 311.
How to Apply, Renew or Make Changes
|In Person||Animal Care & Control Centre
13550 163 Street NW
Monday to Friday 8:30am-6pm
|5th floor of HSBC Bank Place
10250 101 Street NW
|Monday to Friday 8am-4:30pm|
|By Mail||Animal Care & Control Centre
Attention: Pet Licensing
13550 163 Street NW
Edmonton, AB T5V0B2
Please make cheques payable to "The City of Edmonton"