About The Application
The proposed rezoning is for two sites. The first, on 109 Street NW, is from a Site Specific Development Control Provision (DC2.528-Area A) to the Low-Intensity Business Zone (CB1) with the Main Streets Overlay. The purpose of the CB1 Zone with the Main Streets Overlay is to provide for low intensity commercial, office and service uses that encourage and strengthen the pedestrian-oriented character of Edmonton’s main street commercial areas that are located in proximity to residential and transit-oriented areas, by providing visual interest, transparent storefront displays, and amenities for pedestrians.
The second site, on 108A Street NW, is proposed to change from a Site-Specific Development Control Provision (DC2.528-Area B) and the Low-Rise Apartment Zone (RA7) to a new Site-Specific Development Control Provision (DC2). The proposed DC2 Provision would allow for a residential high-rise building with the following characteristics:
- A maximum height of 75-80 metres (approximately 24-27 storeys)
- A maximum floor area ratio of 8.5
- Up to 245 dwellings (including at least 7 with 3 bedrooms)
- A tower floor plate of 800 square metres
- Townhouse style dwellings at the ground level facing 108A Street NW
- Underground and enclosed surface parking accessed from the lane to the west
An associated application has been made to amend the Garneau Area Redevelopment Plan (ARP) to revise policies and maps that effectively limit development on the 108A Street NW site to 4 storeys. Policy 2.2a currently directs high-rise development to the north of the rail right-of-way along Saskatchewan Drive only. The proposed amendment would allow a tower to be built on the 108A Street site.