The idea of a Play Street is to bring neighbours together and allow use of a space within the neighbourhood not naturally inviting for celebration or play.
Play Streets allow neighbours to play together in residential streets closed off to vehicle traffic. The City supports Play Streets through planning, operational and permitting support.
Benefits of a Neighbourhood Play Street
- Promote social interaction between neighbours of all ages
- Encourage the use of closed neighbourhood streets for safe, active play in all seasons
- Provide additional public spaces in areas where parks or private yards are limited
- Encourage activities suited to road spaces such as bike riding, street hockey, chalk art, and scootering
- Promote diverse use of quiet roadways
- Increase sense of belonging to the community
- Encourage neighbours to look after each other and the neighbourhood
- Embolden children to play outside year-round
- Promote safety and help prevent crime by knowing your neighbours and recognizing faces
- Have fun!