If this is the first block party in your neighbourhood, you may want to send out a flyer to explain what a block party is, encourage attendance, recruit volunteers, and find out possible dates and times for the event.
- For a first time block party, distribute the first flyer requesting feedback 4 to 5 weeks before the event.
- Once the committee has looked at all the suggestions, the final flyer with date, time and what to bring should go out 3 weeks before the event.
- Mid-May to the end of August is a good time.
- A weekend or holiday is often the best time for the event.
- Have an alternate rainout day planned, just in case.
- Keep in mind who lives in the neighbourhood when setting the hours for the party. If young children or seniors are living near the party area, plan to finish by 9pm.