In order to be eligible for this program, applicants must comply with the following criteria.
Applicants to the Secondary Suites Grant Funding Program must:
- Show commitment to the purpose of the Program by demonstrating the ability to oversee construction and manage the suite over the 5 year term of the operating agreement with the City
- Rent the secondary suite or garden suite to an eligible tenant earning within the Maximum Income Threshold by household size in the City of Edmonton
- Be the owner-occupier of the primary residence
- Have secured the property, as evidenced by holding title or having a valid offer to purchase, before applying for program funds
- Provide confirmation of project financing
- Provide receipts indicating that project costs beyond the grant funding amount have been paid prior to accessing grant funding
- Abide by the requirements for a landlord under the Residential Tenancies Act
Any work carried out prior to receipt of written confirmation of funding approval is not eligible for program funding.
An applicant who is in property tax arrears is not eligible for program funding.