Tour booking for the 2017/2018 school year will open on May 1, 2017.
Thank you for your interest in visiting the Edmonton Waste Management Centre (EWMC)!
4-12 and Post-secondary
2 hours (grades 4-12), 2+ hours (post-secondary)
- Schools within Edmonton - No charge
- Schools outside of Edmonton - $5.50 per student (teacher and adult chaperones complementary)
Invoices are sent to your school post-tour.
There is a limit of 40 participants per tour, including teachers, students and adult chaperones. Groups over 40 are required to book two separate tours.
Groups must provide a bus for transportation around the EWMC. Each tour requires its own bus. For example, a group of 50 participants requires two tour bookings and two busses.
Please note: Bookings for Fall 2017 school tours are full. Spring tour spots are still available.
Our online booking system allows you to book up to two tours in a 'single booking' session.
If you wish to book more than two tours, you will require 'multiple booking' sessions. Alternatively, you may call us to book them at 780-496-6879.
Yes. We can run two tours each morning and afternoon. To accommodate this request, our online booking system allows you to book up to two tours in the same booking session.
Please remember that each class requires a separate tour booking, bus and teacher chaperone.
You can cancel or reschedule your tour using our online booking system.
We require three weeks notice of cancellation/rescheduling so that we can open your vacated spot for another group. We reserve the right to refuse future bookings from schools that cancel with less than three weeks notice.
If you need to cancel or reschedule your tour within three weeks of your date, please call us at 780-496-6879.
The tour typically visits 3 facilities on our site:
- The Materials Recovery Facility, which processes recyclables collected in Edmonton’s recycling programs.
- The Integrated Processing and Transfer Facility (IPTF), which prepares waste for composting, conversion to biofuels or transfer to landfill.
- Global Electric Electronic Processing (GEEP) Alberta, which processes and recycles e-waste, including electronics dropped off at Eco Stations by Edmontonians.
You will also see the Cloverbar Sanitary Landfill, which is now closed.
Don't see your question here?
Please contact EWMC Reception at 780-496-6879. We'll be glad to help you out!
Before Your Tour
To help prepare your students for their visit, we recommend watching the following videos::