Main page content begins here

There are dangers in a flooded basement. Proceed with caution. Before you begin clean up:

Guard against gas leaks 
If you smell gas, do not touch any electrical fixtures, switches or telephones. Leave the house and contact the local utility for assistance.

Guard against electrocution 
Shut the power off to the flooded area. If the area is wet under the breaker box, use a dry stick to flip the switch while wearing rubber boots and gloves and standing on a dry board. Be sure to thoroughly dry and clean electric motors before turning them back on.

Guard against contamination 
Wear protective boots, gloves and clothing. 

Remember that immediate action is important. Your house and furnishings are less likely to grow mold if they are dried within 48 hours.

Remember to call your insurance company as soon as possible. They will advise you on clean-up and claim procedures.

For More Information

Drainage Planning and Engineering

Telephone

311 

End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content