Main page content begins here

After Edmonton Fire Rescue Services (EFRS) has finished investigating the fire, the property is returned to the owner/owner’s representative (such as insurance company), unless the building inspector judges the house to be unsafe because of structural damage. Once a building has been damaged by fire, it is subject to the regulations of the current building code. The property owner will work with insurance adjusters, safety inspectors and others to assess infrastructure thoroughly.

Before attempting any repairs or reconstruction, check with the City of Edmonton's Sustainable Development to determine if a permit is required. If there is “warning ribbon” or “Under Investigation” placards still in place at your property, contact the Investigations Branch (780-496-3799) immediately to ensure it is okay to enter.

Caution: Although the fire may have been small, with nothing that appears to be of danger to you, Be Careful!

Many common modern home items (furniture, clothing, floor coverings) are manufactured from synthetic materials. When exposed to high heat, such as a fire, these materials can give off invisible toxic gases that may be harmful to your health. Firefighters will make every effort to ventilate your home, but this does not guarantee complete elimination of these gases and toxic fumes can be emitted well after a fire is extinguished.

Why does there Appear to be Excessive Damage to your Home?

Fires produce very high temperatures, as well as and toxic smoke and gases. Firefighters must ventilate your house quickly to aid in firefighting and help reduce fire damage by making these openings. These openings are a standard firefighting technique that ensures fire does not go unnoticed in wall or ceiling spaces and cause further damage.


Often EFRS will have utilities shut off or disconnected as a safety precaution or as a result of fire damage. If your gas, water or power was turned off during the fire, call the City of Edmonton Utilities and/or gas company to restore services. Damage to outside installations (on the city side of the power meter) may be repaired by the agency concerned.

Utility companies do not make repairs inside the house. It is your responsibility, or that of your insurance company, to arrange this. You may use a private contractor if you wish. Damage occurring to water, sewer, power, or natural gas installations inside the dwelling must be repaired under permit and inspected by the appropriate agency before they can be turned on.

Natural Gas - ATCO Gas (24h)


Electricity - EPCOR (24h)


Water and Sanitation - EPCOR (24h)


If you have any concerns with your telephone, cable or internet, contact your service provider.

For More Information


In Edmonton: 311

Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311

End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content