Photo by Curtis Comeau
Edmontonians are an important partner in preventing arson in our city, and can help prevent arson from taking place by following these safety tips:
- Become familiar with your neighbours.
- Watch out for each other’s properties, especially when away on vacation.
- Write down license plate numbers of suspicious vehicles and get descriptions of suspicious persons. Report this information to Edmonton Police Services.
- Encourage Neighbourhood Watch members to patrol their respective communities to locate abandoned homes and buildings and report these to City Officials.
- Clean up your property and yards of materials that an arsonist could use to start a fire. Do not leave piles of brush, garbage, used furniture or old vehicles at the rear of your property. These are targets for arson.
- Clean up the neighbourhood by removing garbage, flammable liquids, gasoline containers and abandoned vehicles.
- Secure the doors, windows or other openings located in abandoned homes and buildings.