Every year, home heating devices cause a number of fires throughout the city of Edmonton. These simple tips can help keep you and your loved ones safe.
- If you smell gas, leave the building immediately and call 911 for help. You can also call the ATCO Gas emergency line 24 hours a day at 780-420-5585 (Edmonton and area).
- Maintain a minimum space of 1 metre (3 feet) around furnaces and space heaters.
- Ensure that space heaters are placed in a stable location protected from accidental contact with children and pets.
- Plug space heaters directly into the wall. Never use an extension cord.
- Never leave a space heater unattended.
- Always keep furnace access covers in place.
- Be sure to lubricate your furnace fan twice a year. Always use proper oil and turn furnace off prior to removing access cover.
- Have your heating equipment serviced annually by a certified company.